The National Archive of Data on Arts and Culture (NADAC) is a repository that facilitates research on arts and culture by acquiring data, particularly those funded by federal agencies and other organizations, and sharing those data with researchers, policymakers, people in the arts and culture field, and the general public.
NADAC is one of several topical archives hosted by the Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR), the largest social science data archive in the world and part of the University of Michigan's Institute for Social Research. NADAC is funded by the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA). Because of NEA's support, users obtain data from NADAC at no charge.
The NEA agreement permitted the transfer to NADAC of datasets distributed by the Cultural Policy and the Arts National Data Archive (CPANDA), a collaborative effort of Princeton University's Firestone Library and the Princeton Center for Arts and Cultural Policy Studies. Datasets from CPANDA will be posted to NADAC on an ongoing basis. If a dataset previously available through CPANDA is not on the NADAC Website, please check the CPANDA Website or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Data User Services
NADAC provides the following services to assist data users:
- Identification of arts and culture data on specific topics
- Online analysis and customized subsetting of selected datasets using the Survey Documentation and Analysis (SDA) statistical software written by staff at the University of California-Berkeley.
- Assistance with retrieval and use of data files from NADAC
- Bibliographic citations to publications based on research data in NADAC
- Information in understanding and using research data
Data Depositor Services
NADAC provides the following services to assist data depositors:
- Technical assistance with data preparation
- Consultation on data collection to enhance the quality of the data for analysis
- Confidentiality reviews of data
NADAC staff strive to provide open and equitable access to all users as well as maintain a comprehensive storage of resources for data. If you are having any problems accessing information on the NADAC site, or if you have suggestions for improving our accessibility, please email us at email@example.com
For information on NADAC staff, please visit the Meet the Team section.