Browse FAQs by Subject
- How does ICPSR handle access to its data and members-only content?
- How do I know if I am an ICPSR member?
- How do I access ICPSR data if I am not at a member institution?
- How can my organization become a member of ICPSR?
- Can I have a trial ICPSR membership for my institution? What about a personal membership?
- What do I do if I'm having trouble logging in with my MyData Account? What about changing my email address or password?
- I'm trying to download data, but I'm not getting any data files. Why can't I download data?
- How can I get the non-restricted version of a restricted dataset?
- The dataset I wish to analyze is restricted. What do I have to do to get the data?
- What is a proxy server? Why am I getting an odd message about proxy servers when I log in?
- Why am I being asked to enter a MyData password when I try to login via Google?
- What kind of data formats does the archive distribute? Do you have SPSS Portable files? SAS transport? Stata?
- What are setup files? How do I use them?
- There are no setup files available for my dataset. How do I create a setup file?
- Can I use Excel to analyze the data?
- What is R? How do I use it?
- How can I use your data with GIS software, such as ArcView or MapInfo?
- How can I use your data if I don't have access to SAS, SPSS, or Stata?
- Why can't I open the Stata files from the ICPSR website?
- What is a Codebook?
You may encounter unfamiliar acronyms and specialized terms used in the social sciences. These resources can provide clear definitions:
ICPSR has a number of video presentations on YouTube that address a variety of topics including step by step instructions on using and troubleshooting set-up files and creating a MyData account.