2018-02-15 The citation of this study may have changed due to the new version control system that has been implemented. The previous citation was:
- U.S. Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics. ANNUAL SURVEY OF JAILS: JURISDICTION-LEVEL DATA, 1997. Conducted by U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census. ICPSR ed. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 1998. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02313.v1
2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one
or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well
as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable,
and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to
reflect these additions.
2001-10-01 At the request of the principal investigator, the
title was changed from NATIONAL SURVEY OF JAILS: JURISDICTION-LEVEL
DATA, 1997 to ANNUAL SURVEY OF JAILS: JURISDICTION-LEVEL DATA, 1997, to
more accurately reflect the scope of the survey. Corresponding
documentation files have been updated to reflect the change in title.
1998-05-20 ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Performed consistency checks.
- Standardized missing values.
- Created online analysis version with question text.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.