County-Level Estimates of the Population Aged Sixty Years and Over by Age, Sex, and Race, 1977-1980 (ICPSR 7955)
Published: Feb 16, 1992 View help for published
Principal Investigator(s): View help for Principal Investigator(s)
Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research
Summary View help for Summary
Preparation of this data collection was funded by grant #90-A-1279 from the United States Department of Health and Human Services, Administration on Aging. Estimates of the population of persons 60 years old and older were received from the Census Bureau in printed form and were made machine-readable by staff at ICPSR. Other variables contained in this dataset were merged from existing machine-readable census files. The data concerning racial composition of counties were taken from the CENSUS OF POPULATION AND HOUSING, 1980 [UNITED STATES]: P.L. 94-171 POPULATION COUNTS (ICPSR 7854). The figures concerning per capita income were taken from the Bureau of the Census, GENERAL REVENUE SHARING, 1978 POPULATION ESTIMATES (ICPSR 7840). Variables include Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS) state and county codes, 1978 per capita income of county, and total population of county broken down by sex, race, and age (in four-year increments with a category for persons 75 years old and older).
Citation View help for Citation
Funding View help for Funding
Subject Terms View help for Subject Terms
Geographic Coverage View help for Geographic Coverage
Distributor(s) View help for Distributor(s)
Universe View help for Universe
Census data from 1977-1980.
Data Source View help for Data Source
(1) print and machine-readable census data, (2) CENSUS OF POPULATION AND HOUSING, 1980 [UNITED STATES]: P.L. 94-171 POPULATION COUNTS (ICPSR 7854), (3) GENERAL REVENUE SHARING, 1978 POPULATION ESTIMATES (ICPSR 7840)
Data Type(s) View help for Data Type(s)
Original Release Date View help for Original Release Date
Version Date View help for Version Date
Version History View help for Version History
- Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research. County-Level Estimates of the Population Aged Sixty Years and Over by Age, Sex, and Race, 1977-1980. ICPSR07955-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1982. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07955.v1
1984-06-28 ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Performed consistency checks.
- Standardized missing values.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Data in this collection are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions.
- The citation of this study may have changed due to the new version control system that has been implemented.
This study is provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.