This dataset is maintained and distributed by the National Archive of Criminal Justice Data (NACJD), the criminal justice archive within ICPSR. NACJD is primarily sponsored by three agencies within the U.S. Department of Justice: the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the National Institute of Justice, and the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.
State Court Statistics, 1985-2001: [United States] (ICPSR 9266)
Principal Investigator(s): National Center for State Courts
This data collection provides comparable measures of state appellate and trial court caseloads by type of case for the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. Court caseloads are tabulated according to generic reporting categories developed by the Court Statistics Project Committee of the Conference of State Court Administrators. These categories describe differences in the unit of count and the point of count when compiling each court's caseload. Major areas of investigation include (1) case filings in state appellate and trial courts, (2) case processing and dispositions in state appellate and trial courts, and (3) appellate opinions. Within each of these areas of state government investigation, cases are separated by main case type, including civil cases, capital punishment cases, other criminal cases, juvenile cases, and administrative agency appeals.
Series: State Court Statistics Series
One or more data files in this study are set up in a non-standard format, such as card image format. Users may need help converting these files before they can be used for analysis.
These data are available to the general public.
WARNING: Because this study has many datasets, the download all files option has been suppressed, and you will need to download one dataset at a time.
National Center for State Courts. State Court Statistics, 1985-2001: [United States]. ICPSR09266-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2005-11-04. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09266.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09266.v1
This study was funded by:
- State Justice Institute (SJI-91-N-007-001-1)
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: State appellate and trial court cases in the United States.
Data Types: aggregate data
Data Collection Notes:
The Court Statistics Project Web page is: http://www.ncsconline.org/D_Research/csp/CSP_Main_Page.html.
A user guide containing court codes and variable descriptions for the 1987 data and the codebooks for the 1995-2001 data are provided as Portable Document Format (PDF) files, and the codebooks for the 1988-1992 data are available in both ASCII text and PDF versions.
published annual reports of administrative court offices and unpublished statistics provided by state administrative offices of the court and clerks of state appellate courts
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Performed consistency checks.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1990-03-02
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 2003-08-27 Part 45, Appellate Court Data, 2001, and Part 46, Trial Court Data, 2001, have been added to the data collection, along with corresponding SAS and SPSS data definition statements and PDF codebooks.
- 2002-08-13 Part 43, Appellate Court Data, 2000, and Part 44, Trial Court Data, 2000, have been added to the data collection, along with corresponding SAS and SPSS data definition statements and PDF codebooks.
- 2001-10-31 Part 41, Appellate Court Data, 1999, and Part 42, Trial Court Data, 1999, have been added to the data collection, along with corresponding SAS and SPSS data definition statements and PDF codebooks.
- 2000-03-23 Part 39, Appellate Court Data, 1998, and Part 40, Trial Court Data, 1998, have been added to the data collection, along with corresponding SAS and SPSS data definition statements and PDF codebooks.
- 1999-07-16 Part 37, Appellate Court Data, 1997, and Part 38, Trial Court Data, 1997, have been added to the data collection, along with corresponding SAS and SPSS data definition statements and PDF codebooks.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~48 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.