Welcome! If you need help completing this form, contact ICPSR Staff at email@example.com.
NIJ grant holders can contact National Archive of Criminal Justice Data National Institute of Justice Data Resources Program staff at 800-999-0960 (9 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST) or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please select the archive to which you would like to deposit your data collection.
Authors wishing to deposit replication datasets should use
openICPSR, our self-deposit
system. Data files are uploaded securely through a Web browser.
NIJ Awardees are to use the Data Submission Checklist to guide and assist in submitting project data and documentation to the NACJD in fulfillment of the archiving requirement for National Institute of Justice sponsored research. The Data Submission Checklist and all project deliverables should be submitted to NACJD via this secure, online deposit form.
If you are a frequent depositor, you may prefer to
a new MyData account.
Describe the Collection
This section collects basic details about the data collection. On the next page of the deposit form, you will be able to describe this data collection in more detail.
Please list the Principal Investigators in order of importance to the study. If the Principal Investigator is an organization, complete just the affiliation field.
Please give the user a clear sense of what the study is about. The focus should be on questions such as the purpose of the study, the major topics covered, and what questions the PIs attempted to answer when they conducted the study. Note that you should avoid attempting to address issues of how the data might be used, who might be interested in the data, or any evaluative comments about the worth or usefulness of the study.
What files should I upload?
- Data - ICPSR prefers to receive data in the following formats:
- Quantitative data files: SPSS, SAS or Stata
- Qualitative data files: raw ASCII text format (Plain Text Format) or Rich-Text Format (RTF)
- Video files: MPEG4 or JPEG2000
- Audio files: .aif or .wav
Documentation - ICPSR prefers to receive electronic documentation in formats such as ASCII (text files), DDI XML files or Microsoft Word. The original source document is preferred, but PDF files are acceptable. Please upload all relevant documentation, which can include:
- Codebook: Specify the unambiguous variable level details, including variable names and labels, full question text, the range of possible codes and their meanings for each variable, codes used to create derived variables, missing data information, and skip pattern instructions.
- Data collection instrument(s): An electronic version of each instrument, if applicable, including interview schedules, self-administered questionnaires, data collection forms for transcribing information from records, paper tests and scales, screening forms, and call-report forms. Please also describe the circumstances in which each was used (study populations, time periods, etc.).
- Other technical documentation, including the following: data dictionaries, summary statistics (frequency distributions, means, etc.) of all variables, and interviewer and coder instructions.
- Final project report, project summary, or other description of the project.
- IRB approval, approved protocols, Informed Consent Statement, privacy certificate, and blank consent form(s), if applicable.
- Data roster accompanying each qualitative data file.
- Bibliography of Related Literature: an electronic file listing all publications describing or resulting from the data collection. Include the full title, full names of author(s), place of publication/publisher, journal name/volume/issue, full date, and page numbers, as applicable. Do not send literature reviews or other reference lists of publications that you may have used to help conceptualize your research. Send only lists of publications that you know are based on the data in this collection.
Select Files to Deposit
Please upload all data and documentation files relevant to this deposit. What files should I upload?
If you have multiple files to submit, you may bundle your files using WinZip (or its equivalents), tar, and/or GNU's gzip. There is a 2GB limit on file uploads.
If you have materials that cannot be uploaded, please click here.
All materials that cannot be uploaded, including hardcopy only documentation and/or removeable media, should be sent to the following address:
Attn: ICPSR Acquisitions
P.O. Box 1248
Ann Arbor, MI 48106-1248
For UPS/FEDEX shipments:
Attn: ICPSR Acquisitions
330 Packard Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
When applicable, please list the grant manager email addresses to be notified when the deposit has been signed and to receive the manifest of deposited files.
For ICPSR to archive and distribute this data collection, we require an electronic signature attesting to the following statements
National Institute of Justice Deposit Agreement Terms
I certify that I am depositing the following: 1) an electronic copy of each Data Collection
generated in conjunction with this project as outlined in the data archiving strategy from
the original proposal; 2) any specialized programming code and other, but not limited to,
associated databases, database queries, images, or PowerPoint slides necessary to reproduce
all constructed measures and original data analysis; 3) a codebook listing the data variables,
variable labels, value labels, and missing value designations; 4) a blank electronic version of
each data collection instrument; 5) manual, electronic, or other data collection protocols; 6) a
copy of the Data Archiving Strategy, IRB approval, Privacy Certificate and consent forms; and
7) a copy of the draft technical Final Report as supported by the National Institute of Justice's
award listed in this deposit agreement, as specified in the award's special conditions.
I have NOT deposited any
information directly identifying the research subjects in this Data Collection.
I understand that ICPSR staff will review my deposit for completeness and provide a written
report to NIJ within two weeks. I may need to provide additional data or documentation
pursuant to NIJ's request before NIJ releases my institution from the special condition
regarding depositing research data at the National of Criminal Justice Data (NACJD).
I further understand that ICPSR on behalf of NIJ will describe, catalog, validate, store,
translate, copy, or reformat the Data Collection to ensure its preservation, protection and
accessibility. ICPSR will incorporate metadata or documentation about the Data Collection
into public access catalogues, and enhance, transform and/or rearrange the Data Collection,
including the data and metadata, to the extent supported by NIJ for the purposes of protecting
respondent confidentiality and improving usability. Finally, ICPSR, in conjunction with NIJ will,
determine the appropriate level of data protection and access, disseminate the Data Collection
in a variety of media formats, and may promote and advertise the Data Collection in a variety
When you are ready to submit your files to ICPSR, please click the button below. After submitting, you will not be able to revise this page.
and take me to the next page of the deposit form