Measures of Effective Teaching Project Summer Data Workshop AnnouncedFree Summer Data Workshop
The Measures of Effective Teaching Longitudinal Database: A Review of the MET Project and Available Data
June 9-11, 2014
At ICPSR, Ann Arbor, MI
Application deadline: May 1, 2014
This three-day workshop will offer a broad summary of the Measures of Effective Teaching (MET) Project and resulting Longitudinal Database (MET LDB), including the design and original goals of the MET Project, video collection and scoring procedures, in addition to available data and how they were collected.
The course will include deeper discussion of key elements of the study including the nested data structure (district, school, teacher, student), the randomization process and implications for analysis, and the student surveys. Additionally, time will be spent on practical considerations for current and potential users of the MET data, including logistics of accessing, linking, and scoring the video data, a description of the data file structure and organization, and discussion of the application process and demonstration of the specialized data access tools provided by the Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR).
Participants will have temporary access to the MET data via the ICPSR Virtual Data Enclave and Secure Video Player for the duration of the workshop, for both structured exercises and independent work.
The workshop is free, but space is limited.
Please provide a current CV along with a cover letter summarizing your relevant research interest and experience, as well as methodological training. Graduate student applicants must also provide a letter of recommendation from an advisor. Participants must have an understanding of secondary data, data analysis skills commensurate with analysis of complex data, and knowledge of SPSS, SAS, or Stata. Additionally, participants are expected to review the available documentation and bring to the workshop tentative research questions that can be addressed by the data.
Instructors include original MET Project Partners, MET Early Career Grantees, and ICPSR staff:
- Elizabeth Covay Minor, Michigan State University
- Ron Ferguson, Harvard University
- Brian Rowan, Institute for Social Research, University of Michigan
- Catherine McClellan, Clowder Consulting
- Jilliam Joe, Educational Testing Service
- Lesli Scott, Institute for Social Research, University of Michigan
- Ben Kelcey, University of Cincinnati
- Matthew Steinberg, University of Pennsylvania
- Johanna Bleckman, ICPSR, University of Michigan
- Chris Greene, ICPSR, University of Michigan
- Summer Program Course detail page (www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/sumprog/courses/0181)
- Summer Program Registration & Fees page (www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/content/sumprog/2014/index.html)
You can also view other membership announcements.