ICPSR Council Elections -- Call for Nominations
As you are aware, the ICPSR Council serves as the executive committee for ICPSR member institutions. The Council sets general policy for the Consortium, approves fees and budgets, and performs other duties. The Council consists of twelve members serving four-year terms. Six new members are elected by the Official Representatives every second year.
The Nominating Committee solicits your suggestions of persons with the experience, ability, and wisdom to serve on the Council. Responsibility and willingness to work are also vital. The Council meets three times each year, and members must devote time between meetings to review materials and undertake committee tasks.
The best way for the Nominating Committee to prepare a strong slate is to have suggestions from Official Representatives and other friends of the Consortium. We seek a diversity of people and perspectives. You may nominate someone from your own institution, or anyone you think is qualified. All Council members must be affiliated with member institutions. Council members need not be current or former Official Representatives, but they should be active supporters of the social science research enterprise.
The slate of six nominees will be mailed to Official Representatives during early fall 2011, and the slate will be voted upon by electronic ballot following the OR Meeting in October, during which there will be an opportunity for write-in nominations, as before. Newly elected members of Council will be seated at the first meeting of Council in 2012.
The Nominating Committee also nominates one of the continuing members to serve a two-year term as Council Chair. We welcome your suggestions about who should serve in this position.
These are the members of the Nominating Committee (two more members will be added to the Nominating Committee at the time of the March 2011 Council meeting):
- Francine Berman (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Thomas LaVeist (email@example.com)
- Jeffrey Moon (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Lori M. Weber (email@example.com)
- Ann Wolpert, Chair (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Christopher Zorn (email@example.com)
You should feel free to communicate directly with the members of the Nominating Committee (listed above), but it will help us if you send your suggestions to a special email address we have created: firstname.lastname@example.org.
In doing so, please provide a brief summary of the individual's qualifications, and make sure that the nomination reaches us by March 31, 2011. It would also be very helpful if you explained in your nomination why this person's expertise would be valuable to ICPSR.
For your information, a list of the current members of the Council is below.
Thank you very much for your help with this important task.
Acting Director, ICPSR
Members of the ICPSR Council
Terms ending 2012:
- Francine Berman, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (Computer Science)
- Thomas LaVeist, Johns Hopkins University (Health & Society)
- Jeffrey Moon, Queen's University (Library and Information)
- Lori M. Weber, California State University, Chico (Political Science)
- Ann Wolpert, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Library and Information)
- Christopher Zorn, Pennsylvania State University (Political Science)
Terms ending 2014:
- G. Sayeed Choudhury, Johns Hopkins University (Library and Information)
- Paul Courant, University of Michigan (Library and Information)
- Catherine A. Fitch, Minnesota Population Center (Historical Demography)
- Gregory N. Price, Morehouse College (Economics)
- Rogelio Saenz, Texas A&M University (Sociology)
- Barbara Schneider, Michigan State University (Education)
You can also view other membership announcements.