Gender and Racial Differences in Teens' Attitudes about Sexuality: A Data-Driven Learning Guide
Adolescent sexuality has given rise to lively discussions over the years as researchers have brought attention to the risks associated with early or unsafe sexual activity. Studies show that early onset of sexual activity has been linked to greater numbers of sexual partners and higher rates of unprotected intercourse, STDs, unplanned pregnancy, and depression.
The factors that influence adolescent sexual activity are as diverse as pubertal timing, peer pressure, parents' involvement in their children's lives, or adolescents' perceptions about sexuality and pregnancy. Studies have shown that adolescents' beliefs, perceptions, and attitudes toward sexuality are of particular importance in their decision to engage (or not) in sexual activity and may in fact be a more significant factor in the onset of sexual activity than parental attitudes or religiosity, for example.
The goal of this exercise is to explore gender and racial differences in adolescents' beliefs and attitudes about sexuality and pregnancy. Crosstabulation and comparison of means will be used.
This publication is related to the following dataset(s):
This resource is available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Because you are not logged in, we cannot verify that you will be able to access this resource.
- Bruckner, H.; Martin, A.; Bearman, P.S.. Ambivalence and pregnancy: Adolescents' attitudes, contraceptive use and pregnancy
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Trends in Sexual Risk Behaviors among High School Students, United States, 1991-2001
- Dennison, R.P.; Russell, S.T.. Positive perspectives on adolescent sexuality: Contributions of the national longitudinal study of adolescent health
- Furstenberg, Frank F., Jr.; Morgan, S. Philip; Moore, Kristin A.; Peterson, James L.. Race differences in the timing of adolescent intercourse
- Halpern, C.T.; Hallfors, D.; Bauer, D.J.; Iritani, B.; Waller, M.W.; Cho, H.. Implications of Racial and Gender Differences in Patterns of Adolescent Risk Behavior for HIV and Other Sexually Transmitted Diseases
- Hayes, Cheryl D.. Risking the Future: Adolescent Sexuality, Pregnancy, and Childbearing, vol. 1
- Hofferth, Sandra L.; Hayes, Cheryl D.. Risking the Future: Adolescent Sexuality, Pregnancy, and Childbearing [vol. 2], Statistical Appendixes
- Kaestle C.E.; Halpern C.T.; Miller W.C.; Ford C.A.. Young age at first sexual intercourse and sexually transmitted infections in adolescents and young adults
- Moore, Kristin Anderson; Peterson, James L.; Furstenberg, Frank F.. Parental attitudes and the occurrence of early sexual activity
- Peterson, James L.; Card, Josefina J.; Card, Josefina. Items and scales measuring adolescent pregnancy and its antecedents and consequences
- Ream, G.L.. Contextual Mediators Between Adolescent Sexuality and Negative Outcomes
- SIECUS. The Truth about Adolescent Sexuality
- Smith, Carolyn A.. Factors associated with early sexual activity among urban adolescents
- Smith, L.H.. A Developmental Perspective of Adolescent Males' Sexuality: Testing a Model
- Unger, J.B.; Molina, G.B.; Teran, L.. Perceived consequences of childbearing among adolescent girls
- Whitbeck, Les B.; Yoder, Kevin A.; Hoyt Dan R.; Conger, Rand D.. Early adolescent sexual activity: A Developmental study
- Wilson, M.S.; Teasdale, B.. Adolescent Sexuality and Mental Health: The Role of Stress and Support