In recent years, the news media has drawn increasing attention to a debate about the compatibility of certain religions with democracy. Islam, in particular, has been described by some as 'incompatible' with democracy. One reason for this belief comes from the notion that in Islamic countries, religious traditions, as opposed to secular, govern life. Another reason stems from debate over the status of women in Islam. In this guide you will explore whether there is a difference between the way Muslims and Christians in Ghana perceive democracy and democratic ideas.
The goal of this guide is to compare levels of support for democracy and democratic ideas among Christians and Muslims in Ghana. Crosstabulations and frequency tables will be used.
This publication is related to the following dataset(s):
This resource is available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Because you are not logged in, we cannot verify that you will be able to access this resource.
- Bratton, Michael. Briefing: Islam, democracy and public opinion in Africa
- Bratton, Michael; Lewis, Peter; Gyimah-Boadi, E.. Constituencies for Reform in Ghana
- Bratton, Michael; Van de Walle, Nicolas. Neopatrimonial regimes and political transitions in Africa
- Calhoun-Brown, Allison. No respect of persons? Religion, churches and gender issues in the African American community
- Jelen, Ted G.. Religion and Foreign Policy Attitudes: Exploring the Effects of Denomination and Doctrine
- Jones-Correa, Michael A.; Leal, David L.. Political participation: Does religion matter?
- Midlarsky, Manus I.. Democracy and Islam: Implications for Civilizational Conflict and the Democratic Peace
- Pevehouse, Jon C.. Democracy from the Outside-In? International Organizations and Democratization
- Servin-Gonzalez, Mariana; Torres-Reyna, Oscar. The polls--Trends: Religion and politics
- Temin, Jonathan; Smith, Daniel A.. Media matters: Evaluating the role of the media in Ghana's 2000 elections
- Varshney, Ashutosh. Ethnic Conflict and Civic Life: Hindus and Muslims in India