Attitudes about Racial Discrimination and Racial Inequality in the US: A Data-Driven Learning Guide
Race is a social category of people labeled and treated as similar because of some common traits, such as skin color, texture of hair, and shape of eyes. Racial categories are not natural, biological categories. Different societies identify different characteristics that distinguish one race from another. Racial categories are often reflected social rankings and access to resources.
The goal of this module is to explore White and Black Americans' attitudes about racial discrimination and racial inequality. Crosstabulation will be used.
This publication is related to the following dataset(s):
This resource is available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Because you are not logged in, we cannot verify that you will be able to access this resource.
- Apostle, Richard A.; et al. The Anatomy of Racial Attitudes
- Bennett, Stephen Earl. On the Existence of an Underlying Vertical Structure' in Whites' Racial Attitudes
- Bledsoe, Timothy; Combs, Michael; Sigelman, Lee; Welch, Susan. Trends in Racial Attitudes in Detroit, 1968-1992
- Bobo, Lawrence; Zubrinsky, Camille L.. Attitudes on residential integration: Perceived status differences, mere in-group preference, or racial prejudice?
- Chin, Jeffrey C.. Divergent trends in white racial attitudes toward blacks
- Dowden, Frieda Sue. Age, Education, Contact and Racial Attitudes of White Americans
- Ellison, Christopher G.; Powers, Daniel A.. The Contact Hypothesis and Racial Attitudes among Black Americans
- Farley, Reynolds; Hatchett, Shirley; Shuman, Howard. A Note on Changes in Black Racial Attitudes in Detroit: 1968-1976
- Farley, Reynolds; Steeh, Charlotte; Krysan, Maria; Jackson, Tara; Reeves, Keith. Stereotypes and segregation: Neighborhoods in the Detroit area
- Federico, Christopher M.; Sidanius, Jim. Sophistication and the antecedents of whites' racial policy attitudes: Racism, ideology, and affirmative action in America
- Forman, Tyrone Anthony. Social Change, Social Context and White Youths' Racial Attitudes
- Fossett, Mark A.; Kiecolt, K. Jill. The Relative Size of Minority Populations and White Racial Attitudes
- Gilens, Martin. Racial attitudes and opposition to welfare
- Glaser, James M.. Back to the black belt: Racial environment and white racial attitudes in the South
- Glaser, James M.; Gilens, Martin. Interregional migration and political resocialization: A study of racial attitudes under pressure
- Hesselbart, Susan. Patterns of white beliefs and attitudes
- Hesselbart, Susan; Schuman, Howard. Racial attitudes, educational level, and a personality measure
- Hughes, Michael; Tuch, Steven A.; Martin, Jack K.. Symbolic racism, old-fashioned racism, and whites' opposition to affirmative action
- Hughes, Michael; Tuch, Steven A.. Gender Differences in Whites' Racial Attitudes: Are Women's Attitudes Really More Favorable?
- Hwang, Sean-Shong; Fitzpatrick, Kevin M.; Helms, David. Class differences in racial attitudes: A divided black America?
- Jelen, Ted G.. The Impact of Home Owndership on Whites' Racial Attitudes
- Krysan, Maria. Privacy and the expression of white racial attitudes: A comparison across three continents
- Krysan, Maria. White racial attitudes: Does it matter how we ask?
- Kuklinski, James H.; Parent, Wayne. Race and big government: Containing in measuring racial attitudes
- McDermott, Monica. A Darker Shade of Pale: The Influence of Local Context and Racial Identity on White Attitudes towards Black Americans
- Orbell, John M.; Sherrill, Kenneth S.. Racial attitudes and the metropolitan context: A structural analysis
- Powers, Daniel A.; Ellison, Christopher G.. Interracial Contact and Black Racial Attitudes: The Contact Hypothesis and Selectivity Bias
- Schuman, Howard; Converse, Jean M.. The effects of black and white interviewers on black responses in 1968
- Schuman, Howard; Gruenberg, Barry. The impact of city on racial attitudes
- Schuman, Howard; Hatchett, Shirley. Black Racial Attitudes: Trends and Complexities
- Schuman, Howard; Hatchett, Shirley. Changes in black and white racial attitudes
- Schuman, Howard; Hatchett, Shirley; Robertson, Ian. Changes in black and white racial attitudes
- Schuman, Howard; Krysan, Maria. A historical note on whites' beliefs about racial inequality
- Schuman, Howard; Steeh, Charlotte; Bobo, Lawrence. Racial Attitudes in America: Trends and Interpretations
- Schuman, Howard; Steeh, Charlotte; Bobo, Lawrence; Krysan, Maria. Racial Attitudes in America: Trends and Interpretations. 2nd Ed.
- Sears, David O.; Jessor, Tom. Whites' Racial Policy Attitudes: The Role of White Racism
- Sears, David O.; Van Laar, Colette; Carrillo, Mary; Kosterman, Rick. Is it really racism? The origins of White Americans' opposition to race-targeted policies
- Steeh, Charlotte; Krysan, Maria. Affirmative action and the public, 1970-1995
- Steeh, Charlotte; Schuman, Howard. Young white adults: Did racial attitudes change in the 1980s?
- Stein, Robert M.; Rinden, Allison L.. Reconciling Context and Contact Effects on Racial Attitudes
- Studlar, Donley T.. Racial attitudes in Britain: A causal analysis
- Taylor, Marylee c.. How white attitudes vary with the racial composition of local populations: Numbers in count
- Wilson, Thomas C.. Cohort and prejudice: Whites' attitudes toward blacks, Hispanics, Jews, and Asians
- Wilson, Thomas C.. Interregional Migration and Racial Attitudes
- Wilson, Thomas C.. Urbanism and Racial Attitudes: A Test of Some Urban Theories