Homelessness: A Data-Driven Learning Guide
Homelessness is the most visible and extreme consequence of poverty. The number of homeless persons in the U.S. is difficult to measure due to transience, seasonal fluctuation, and movement in and out of homelessness. Similarly, it is difficult to measure demographic characteristics of the homeless and how they are affected by their living conditions.
The goal of this exercise is to explore the characteristics of the Washington, DC Metropolitan area homeless population, and the relationship between homelessness and several measures of health. Frequency distributions, crosstabulation, and comparison of means will be used.
This publication is related to the following dataset(s):
This resource is available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Because you are not logged in, we cannot verify that you will be able to access this resource.
- (author unknown). Prevalence of Drug Use in the DC Metropolitan Area Institutionalized Population, 1991
- Adams, Carolyn Teich. Homelessness in the Postindustrial City: Views from London and Philadelphia
- Aggleton, Peter; Hurry, Jane; Warwick, Ian. Young people and mental health
- Bohanon, Cecil. The Economic Correlates of Homelessness in Sixty Cities
- Bray, Robert M.. The Washington, DC, Metropolitan Area Drug Study
- Bray, Robert M.; Marsden, Mary Ellen; Vincus, Amy A.. Impact of drug use in metropolitan America
- Dennis, Michael L.; Bray, Robert M.; Iachan, Ronaldo; Thornberry, Jutta. Drug use and homelessness
- Fischer, P.J.; Breakey, W.R.. Homelessness and mental health: An overview
- Fischer, P.J.; Shapiro, S.; Breakey, W.R.; Kramer, M.; Anthony, James C.. Mental health and social characteristics of the homeless: A survey of the Baltimore Mission users
- Klahn, J.A.; Fisher, Dennis G.; Wood, Michele M.; Reynolds, Grace L.; Johnson, Mark E.. Homelessness among out-of-treatment drug users in Long Beach, CA
- Lambert, E.Y.. Overview of the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan Area Drug Study (DC*MADS)
- Main, Thomas J.. Analyzing evidence for the structural theory of homelessness
- North, Carol S.; Pollio, David E.; Smith, Elizabeth M.; Spitznagel, Edward L.. Correlates of early onset and chronicity of homelessness in a large urban homeless population
- Ringheim, Karin. Investigating the Structural Determinants of Homelessness: The Case of Houston
- Rossi, Peter H.. Down and Out in America: The Origins of Homelessness
- Segal, Bernard. Homelessness and Drinking: a Study of a Street Population
- Wood, Michele M.; Janson, Michael A.; Wood, Jefferson L.; Fisher, Dennnis G.. Predictors of homelessness among drug users in Long Beach, CA