Generational Trends in Attitudes about Gun Ownership: A Data-Driven Learning Guide
The rates of violent crime and shooting deaths in the U.S. are several times higher than in comparable industrialized countries around the world. The U.S. also has very high rates of gun ownership. Research suggests that attitudes about gun ownership are related to people's fear of crime.
Fear of crime has been the focus of much discussion, academic research, and policy initiatives over the past four decades. Common sense would suggest that fear of crime is related to crime victimization, and that the two factors in turn affect attitudes about gun ownership. However, research shows that these relationships are neither as straightforward nor as strong as one might think.
The goal of this module is to explore generational trends in Americans' attitudes about gun ownership and to investigate how fear of crime and victimization might be related to attitudes about gun ownership. Crosstabulation will be used.
This publication is related to the following dataset(s):
This resource is available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Because you are not logged in, we cannot verify that you will be able to access this resource.
- (author unknown). Gun control: Giving ground
- (author unknown). Should you own a gun?
- Adams, Kenneth; Flanagan, Timothy J.; Longmire, Dennis R.. Guns and gun control
- Arthur, John A.. Criminal victimization, fear of crime and handgun ownership among blacks: Evidence from national survey data
- Azrael, Deborah; Hemenway, David. 'In the safety of your own home': Results from a national survey of gun use at home
- Baer, Justin; Chambliss, William J.. Generating fear: The politics of crime reporting
- Balkin, Steven. Vitimization rates, safety, and fear of crime
- Bellesiles, Michael A.. Arming America: The Origins of a National Gun Culture
- Box, Steven; Hale, Chris; Andrews, Glen. Explaining fear of crime
- Clemente, Frank; Kleiman, Michael B.. Fear of crime among the aged
- Cook, Philip J.; Ludwig, Jens. Defensive gun uses: New evidence from a national survey
- Cook, Philip J.; Ludwig, Jens. Does gun prevalence affect teen gun carrying after all?
- Cook, Philip J.; Ludwig, Jens. Guns in America: National Survey on Private Ownership and Use of Firearms
- Crank, John P.; Giacomazzi, Andrew; Heck, Carry. Fear of crime in a nonurban setting
- DeFronzo, James. Fear of Crime and Handgun Ownership
- Ferraro, Kenneth F.; LaGrange, Randy L.. Are Older People Most Afraid of Crime? Reconsidering Age Differences in Fear of Victimization
- Garofalo, James. Victimization and the fear of crime
- Hemenway, David; Azrael, Deborah. Relative Frequency of Offensive and Defensive Gun Uses Results from a National Survey
- Kovandzic, Tomislav V.; Marvell, Thomas B.. Right-to-carry concealed handguns and violent crime: Crime control through gun decontrol?
- Kury, Helmut; Ferdinand, Theodore. The victim's experience and fear of crime
- Lee, Matthew R.; Earnest, Terri. Perceived Neighborhood Context and Fear of Crime: A Cross-National Analysis
- Lewis, D.A.. Sociological Theory and the Production of a Social Problem: The Case of Fear of Crime
- Nio Tam Ching, Josephine; Lowry, Dennis T.; Leitner, Dennis W.. Setting the public fear agenda: A longitudinal analysis of network television crime reporting, public perceptions of crime, and FBI crime statistics
- Ludwig, Jens; Cook, Philip J.. Evaluating Gun Policy: Effects on Crime and Violence
- Rodriguez, Michael A.; Gorovitz, Eric. The politics and prevention of gun violence
- Rountree, Pamela Wilcox. A reexamination of the crime-fear linkage
- Rountree, Pamela Wilcox; Land, Kenneth C.. Perceived Risk versus Fear of Crime: Empirical Evidence of Conceptually Distinct Reactions in Survey Data
- Schnebly, Stephen M.. An examination of the impact of victim, offender, and situational attributes on the deterrent effect of defensive gun use: A research note
- Skogan, W.G.. Fear of Crime Among the Elderly
- Skogan, W.G.; Maxfield, M.G.. Cope with Crime: Victimization, Fear, and Reactions to Crime in Three American Cities, Volume I
- Stafford, Mark C.; Galle, Omer R.. Victimization Rates, Exposure to Risk, and Fear of Crime
- Taub, Richard P.; Taylor, D. Garth; Dunham, Jan D.. Crime Fear of Crime, and the Deterioration of Urban Neighborhoods, Final Report
- United States Department of Housing and Urban Development. In the Crossfire: The Impact of Gun Violence on Public Housing Communities
- Well, Douglas S.; Hemenway, David. Loaded guns in the home: Analysis of a national survey of gun owners
- Zimring, Franklin E.. Is Gun Control Likely to Reduce Violent Killings?