Prosocial behavior is a term used by social psychologists to refer to a broad category of actions that are considered to be beneficial to others and to have positive social consequences. One type of prosocial behavior is altruism--helping that is intended to provide aid to someone else with no expectations of getting something in return.
The goal of this exercise is to explore some of the factors that may influence altruistic behavior. Crosstabulation will be used.
This resource is available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Because you are not logged in, we cannot verify that you will be able to access this resource.
- Aderman, D; Berkowitz, L.. Observational set, empathy, and helping
- Auhagen, Ann E.; Bierhoff, Hans W. (eds). Responsibility: The Many Faces of a Social Phenomenon
- Baron, J.; Miller, J.. Limiting the scope of moral obligations to help: A cross-cultural investigation
- Batson, C.. The Altruism Question: Toward a Social Psychological Answer
- Batson, C.; Ahmad, N.; Stocks, E.. Benefits and liabilities of empathy-induced altruism
- Batson, C.; Duncan, B.; Ackerman, P; Buckley T.; Birch, K.. Is empathic emotion a source of altruistic motivation?
- Berkowitz, L. Social norms, feelings, and other factors affecting helping and altruism
- Bierhoff, Hans W.. Prosocial Behaviour
- Davis, Mark H.. Empathy: A Social Psychological Approach
- Farsides, R.. The psychology of altruism
- Fetchenhauer, D.; Flache, A.; Buunk, A.P.; Lindenberg, S. (eds). Solidarity and Prosocial Behavior: An Integration of Sociological and Psychological Perspectives
- Ozinga, James R.. Altruism
- Post, S.. Unlimited Love: Altruism, Compassion, and Service
- Steele, W.; Schreiber, G.; Guiltinan, A.; et al.. The role of altruistic behavior, empathetic concern, and social responbility motivation in blood donation behavior
- Sullivan, Brandon A.; Snyder, Mark; Sullivan, John L. (eds). Cooperation: the Political Psychology of Effective Human Interaction
- Yablo, P.. The role of culture in altruism: Thailand and the United States
- de Waal, F.. Putting the altruism back into altruism: The evolution of empathy