Today's middle-aged adults are often referred to as the "sandwich generation" because many will spend as much time caring for their aging parents as they did for their own children. As life expectancy rises and the elderly make up a larger proportion of the population, the need for care will also increase. However, caregiving is not exclusive to adult children and their aging parents. Other examples include parents caring for a disabled child or older adults caring for an ill spouse.
The goal of this exercise is to explore the characteristics and well-being of middle-aged caregivers. Frequencies, crosstabulation, and comparison of means will be used.
This publication is related to the following dataset(s):
This resource is available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Because you are not logged in, we cannot verify that you will be able to access this resource.
- Arno, Peter S.; Levine, Carol; Memmott, Margaret M.. The economic value of informal caregiving
- Barrett, Anne E.; Lynch, Scott M.. Caregiving networks of elderly persons: Variation by marital status
- Checkovich, Tennille J.; Stern, Steven. Shared caregiving responsibilities of adult siblings with elderly parents
- Choi, Heejeong; Marks, Nadine F.. Transitions to caregiving, marital disagreement, and psychological well-being
- Dilworth-Anderson, Peggye; Williams, Sharon Wallace; Cooper, Theresa. Family caregiving to elderly African Americans: Caregiver types and structures
- Dwyer, Jeffrey W.; Lee, Gary R.; Jankowski, Thomas B.. Reciprocity, elder satisfaction, and caregiver stress and burden: The exchange of aid in the family caregiving relationship
- Farkas, Janice I.; Himes, Christine L.. The influence of caregiving and employment on the voluntary activities of midlife and older women
- Franks, Melissa M.; Stephens, Mary Ann Parris. Social support in the context of caregiving: Husbands' provision of support to wives involved in parent care
- Giele, Janet Z.; Mutschler, Phyllis H.; Orodenker, Sylvia Z.. Stress and burdens of caregiving for the frail elderly
- Himes, Christine L.. Parental caregiving by adult women
- Himes, Christine L.; Jordan, Anne K.; Farkas, Janice I.. Factors influencing parental caregiving by adult women: Variations by care intensity and duration
- Jenkins, Carol L.. Women, work, and caregiving: How do these roles affect women's well-being?
- Johnson, Richard W.; Lo Sasso, Anthony T.. Family Support of the Elderly and Female Labor Supply: Tradeoffs Among Caregiving, Financial Transfers, and Work
- Kramer, Betty J.; Lambert, James David. Caregiving as a life course transition among older husbands: A prospective study
- Laditka, James N.; Laditka, Sarah B.. Aging Children and Their Older Parents: The Coming Generation of Caregiving
- Laditka, Sarah B.; Pappas-Rogich, Maria. Anticipatory Caregiving Anxiety Among Older Women and Men
- Livingston, Gretchen. Proportion of Life Spent Caregiving Among African American and White Women and Men
- Loomis, Laura Spencer; Booth, Alan. Multigenerational Caregiving and Well-Being: The Myth of the Beleaguered Sandwich Generation
- Marks, Nadine F.. Does it hurt to care? Caregiving, work-family conflict, and midlife well-being
- Marks, Nadine F.; Lambert, James David; Choi, Heejeong. Transitions to caregiving, gender, and psychological well-being: A prospective U.S. national study
- Marks, Nadine S.. Midlife Caregiving: Do Effects Differ by Gender?
- Martire, Lynn M.; Stephens, Mary Ann Parris; Atienza, Audie A.. The interplay of work and caregiving: Relationships between role satisfaction, role involvement, and caregivers' well-being
- Pavalko, Eliza K.; Artis, Julie E.. Women's caregiving and paid work: Causal relationships in late midlife
- Pinquart, Martin; Sorensen, Silvia. Ethnic Differences in Stressors, Resources, and Psychological Outcomes of Family Caregiving: A Meta-Analysis
- Stone, Robyn I.; Short, Pamela Farley. Competing demands of employment and informal caregiving to disabled elders
- Tennstedt, Sharon. Family Caregiving in an Aging Society
- Wakabayashi, Chizuko. Economic Consequences of Caregiving for the Elderly on Women's Lives
- Wallsten, Sharon S.. Effects of caregiving, gender, and race on the health, mutuality, and social supports of older couples