Mission Statement: ICPSR advances and expands social and behavioral research, acting as a global leader in data stewardship and providing rich data resources and responsive educational opportunities for present and future generations.
An international consortium of more than 700 academic institutions and research organizations, ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for the social science research community.
ICPSR maintains a data archive of more than 500,000 files of research in the social sciences. It hosts 16 specialized collections of data in education, aging, criminal justice, substance abuse, terrorism, and other fields.
ICPSR's educational activities include the Summer Program in Quantitative Methods of Social Research, a comprehensive curriculum of intensive courses in research design, statistics, data analysis, and social methodology. ICPSR also leads several initiatives that encourage use of data in teaching, particularly in undergraduate instruction.
ICPSR-sponsored research focuses on the emerging challenges of digital curation and data science. ICPSR researchers also examine substantive issues related to our collections, with an emphasis on historical demography and the environment.
More information about ICPSR
- ICPSR receives grants from a number of government agencies and private foundations.
- A list of senior staff is available.
- The Consortium was established in 1962. Read about our history.
- ICPSR is governed by the ICPSR Council, a 12-person body elected by the members of ICPSR.
- ICPSR has a strategic plan to guide its activities.
- ICPSR's governing documents include a constitution, bylaws, and a memorandum of agreement with the University of Michigan.
- The Consortium honors outstanding Official Representatives and distinguished members of the social science community with the Warren E. Miller Award for Meritorious Service to the Social Sciences and the William H. Flanigan Award for Distinguished Service as an ICPSR Official Representative.
- Job openings at ICPSR can be found on our Careers page and the University of Michigan Jobs page.