Help with Finding and Accessing Data
Searching and Finding the Data You Need
Explore data on the SAMHDA site in the following ways:
- The Data search option, available in the header of all pages on the SAMHDA site, searches for keywords and phrases within a study's metadata. The results page returns a list of studies, sorted by relevance, that contain your search word(s) somewhere in the study metadata, study variables, full text of all associated PDF documentation, associated citations, or dataset names. From the results page you can go directly to the study home page. Results can be sorted by study title, release/update date, time period, most cited, and most downloaded. On the left side of the screen there are several options for filtering your results by subject, geography, data format, time period and recency. For more information on using filters, consult the FAQ on faceted searching.
- The Search/Compare Variables option searches the variable name, question text, value labels, and variable labels for every variable in all SAMHDA studies. The results page lists the variables, sorted by relevance. Results can be sorted by variable label, time period, study title, and series title. Results can also be filtered by series, study, and time period. Up to five variables at a time can be compared across studies. Once you select a variable from the list of matching results, you will be able to view key information about the variable including: name, label, question text, frequencies, and summary statistics.
Recently Released SAMHSA Studies on the home page.
The studies listed in the Recently Released SAMHSA Studies section are the newest studies in the SAMHDA archive. Selecting the "more..." link will take you to the full text of the released announcement.
Frequently Accessed Studies on the home page.
The Frequently Accessed Studies section on the home page provides access to the study home pages for the studies accessed most often on the SAMHDA website.
From a study home page, you may choose to:
- read a summary of the study
- view the study description
- browse documentation files (codebooks, questionnaires)
- list all variables in the study
- perform a variable level search within the study
- view related literature
- view related literature for the entire series (if part of a series)
- download documentation files
- download select data files
- analyze data online - SDA, R-DAS, Quick Tables, Simple Crosstab/Frequency
Options for "Quick Download" of data and documentation files are also available on the left side of each study home page.
This page provides a list of all holdings in the SAMHDA archive. Click on a colored bar to expand the menu for a series or study. The menu provides access to the study or series home page, and links to view study documentation, download data, analyze data online, and access Quick Tables.
For additional information on finding data, see the FAQ section on How to Find Data.
Users do not need to obtain permission to access, download, analyze online, or publish findings based on SAMHDA public-use data . Users are required to properly cite data from SAMHDA and to submit citations of their published works for inclusion in the SAMHDA bibliography. For more information, please consult the FAQ section on Access to Data.
- Some restricted-use data files are available for online analysis via the Restricted-use Data Analysis System (R-DAS). To access restricted-use data via the R-DAS, users are required to login using a MyData, Google, or Facebook account. For more information, please consult the FAQ section on Help with the Restricted-use Data Analysis System (R-DAS).
- The Data Portal provides remote access to individual record level restricted-use data via a virtual desktop from a secure, approved location. Completion of an application process and project approval are required for Data Portal access. For more information on access to the Data Portal, see the FAQ section on Accessing the Data Portal.