Mission and Services
The mission of the National Addiction & HIV Data Archive Program is to facilitate research on drug addiction and HIV infection by acquiring, enhancing, preserving, and sharing data produced by research grants, particularly those funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse. NAHDAP supports secondary data analysis through technical assistance and specialized training for data depositors and data users in the drug addiction and HIV research and policy communities.
NAHDAP's staff consists of professional researchers, data archivists, and technicians working together to promote the use of data relevant to drug addiction and HIV researchers and policy makers.
NAHDAP is hosted by the Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR), the largest social science data archive in the world and part of the University of Michigan's Institute for Social Research. NAHDAP is funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse, part of the National Institutes of Health. NIDA's mission is to bring the power of science to bear on drug abuse and addiction by supporting research across a wide range of disciplines and ensuring the rapid and effective dissemination and use of the results of that research to improve prevention, treatment, and policy.
Data Depositor Services
NAHDAP provides the following services to assist data depositors:
- Technical assistance with data preparation
- Consultation on data collection to enhance secondary use
- Educational activities to promote data sharing
- Proposal preparation and data sharing plans
- Confidentiality reviews of data
Data User Services
NAHDAP provides the following services to assist data users:
- Identification of appropriate drug abuse and HIV data collections on specific topics
- Customized sub-setting and online analysis of selected data through online Survey Documentation and Analysis
- Assistance with retrieval and use of data files from NAHDAP
- Bibliographic citations to publications based on research data in NAHDAP
Education and Training Services
NAHDAP offers education and training programs:
- Two- and three-day workshops in the ICPSR's summer program on quantitative methods or secondary analysis of specific datasets
- Workshops and webinars on data preparation and legal and technical issues associated with data sharing
- Conference short courses on data management plans and data sharing
- On-site technical training for depositors and research work groups to enhance data preparation
See the NAHDAP Training tab for details on NAHDAP's education and training services.
NAHDAP staff strive to provide open and equitable access to all users. If you are having any problems accessing information on the NAHDAP site, or if you have suggestions for improving our accessibility, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For information on NAHDAP staff, please visit the "Meet the Team" section.