Data & Documentation
Please note that all IFSS data releases are beta versions provided for users to begin using the data before the final version is released in early 2013. As such, they are subject to change and may contain small inconsistencies. If you notice any problems with the data, please contact the IFSS team at IFSSGroup@umich.edu so that we may fix them.
In the 1988 NSFG, the weight variable is scaled differently than in other
years. To estimate population counts or make comparisons using other
surveys, the variable IFSS_WEIGHT needs to be divided by 100 in the 1988
NSFG. The weight variable will be modified in future releases of the data.
In the current version of the data, the weight can be adjusted using the
IF IFSS_SOURCE=1988 THEN IFSS_WEIGHT=IFSS_WEIGHT/100;
replace IFSS_WEIGHT=IFSS_WEIGHT/100 if IFSS_SOURCE==1988
IFSS Source Data
The component studies of the IFSS project are publicly available through ICPSR, including the 1955 and 1960 GAF, 1965 and 1970 NFS, and 1973, 1976, 1982, 1988, 1995, and 2002 NSFG. Each study contains the scope of each survey, a brief description of study methodology, information on how to access each dataset, and links to related literature.
- Growth of American Families, 1955 (ICPSR 20000)
- Growth of American Families, 1960 (ICPSR 20001)
- National Fertility Survey, 1965 (ICPSR 20002)
- National Fertility Survey, 1970 (ICPSR 20003)
- National Survey of Family Growth, Cycle I, 1973 (ICPSR 7898)
- National Survey of Family Growth, Cycle II, 1976: Couple File (ICPSR 7902)
- National Survey of Family Growth, Cycle II, 1976: Interval File (ICPSR 8181)
- National Survey of Family Growth, Cycle III, 1982 (ICPSR 8328)
- National Survey of Family Growth, Cycle IV, 1988 (ICPSR 9473)
- National Survey of Family Growth, Cycle V, 1995 (ICPSR 6960)
- National Survey of Family Growth, Cycle VI, 2002 (ICPSR 4157)
The IFSS project provides documentation to help users work with the special challenges of managing and analyzing harmonized data. User documentation provides information on a broad range of topics, including how the IFSS was developed, accounting for complex sample design in analysis, and evaluating harmonized variables.
- How to Use the IFSS Variable Selection Site (PDF 715K)
- Integrated Fertility Survey Series User Guide (PDF 103K)
- National Survey of Family Growth, Cycle VII, 2006-2010
- National Fertility Survey, 1975 (ICPSR 4334)
- National Survey of Family Growth, Cycle IV, 1990 Telephone Reinterview (ICPSR 6643)
- Low-Fertility Cohorts Study, 1978: A Survey of White, Ever-Married Women Belonging to the 1901-1910 United States Birth Cohorts (ICPSR 4698)