Alternate Title: NYS 1983
Principal Investigator(s): Elliott, Delbert, University of Colorado. Institute of Behavioral Science
Youth data for the sixth wave of the National Youth Survey are contained in this collection. This research project, which was designed to gain a better understanding of both conventional and deviant types of behavior by youths, involved collecting information from a representative sample of young people in the United States. The first wave of this survey was conducted in 1976 (ICPSR 8375), the second wave in 1977 (ICPSR 8424), the third wave in 1978 (ICPSR 8506), the fourth wave in 1979 (ICPSR 8917), and the fifth wave in 1980 (ICPSR 9112). For this wave, youths and young adults were interviewed in early 1984 about events and behavior occurring in calendar year 1983, when they were 17 to 26 years of age. Data are available on the demographic and socioeconomic status of respondents, disruptive events for parents, neighborhood problems, employment, children, aspirations and current successes, normlessness, labeling by parents, perceived disapproval by parents, peers, co-workers, and partner, attitudes toward deviance, exposure to delinquent peers, self-reported delinquency, drug and alcohol use, victimization, pregnancy, depression, use of outpatient services, spouse violence by respondent and partner, and sexual activity.
These data are freely available.
Elliott, Delbert. National Youth Survey [United States]: Wave VI, 1983. ICPSR09948-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2008-10-10. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09948.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09948.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Health and Human Services. National Institutes of Health. National Institute of Mental Health (MH27552)
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention ( 78-JN-AX-003)
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. National Institute of Justice (82-IJ-CX-0011, 83-IJ-CX-0063)
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: aspirations, behavior problems, career goals, community involvement, delinquent behavior, depression (psychology), deviance, drugs, employment, expectations, family conflict, family relations, health services utilization, life events, neighborhood conditions, parental attitudes, parents, peer influence, sexual behavior, social attitudes, social behavior, social isolation, social values, socioeconomic status, spouse abuse, substance abuse, teenage pregnancies, victimization, young adults, youths
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Unit of Observation: Individual
Universe: Youths in the United States.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
Produced by the University of Colorado, Behavioral Research Institute at Boulder, CO.
Sample: National sample of the American youth population selected by area probability sampling.
- Performed consistency checks.
- Standardized missing values.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1993-05-13
- 2008-10-10 New files were added. These files included one or more of the following: Stata setup, SAS transport (CPORT), SPSS system, Stata system, SAS supplemental syntax, and Stata supplemental syntax files, and a tab-delimited ASCII data file. Some other minor edits were made to improve the data and documentation.
- List all ~102 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)