Alternate Title: PRAMHS
Principal Investigator(s): Roeder, Philip W.
This study consists of four parts. Part 1 is the result of a nationwide mail survey of Community Mental Health Centers (CMHC). Questions centered on the delivery of mental health services to the elderly, and cover topics such as the number of elderly people in the client load, amount of interaction between CMHC and Area Agencies on Aging (AAA), factors affecting the delivery of services to the elderly, and specialized services for the elderly. In addition to data from the PRAMHS questionnaire, data from the 1976 National Institute of Mental Health CMHC inventory were merged with the corresponding agencies. Part 2 contains data from a mail survey of Area Agencies on Aging. Data include percentage of referrals made by agencies to mental health programs as compared to other types of programs, priority given to mental health issues, factors influencing delivery and coordination of mental health services to the elderly, and amount of communication between AAA and agencies in its service area serving the mental health needs of the elderly. Part 3 consists of data collected by the PRAMHS project State Unit on Aging (SUA) mail survey. Information is included on interaction with State Mental Health Agencies, priority given to mental health issues, efforts by the elderly to influence policy decisions, and factors influencing delivery and coordination of mental health services to the elderly. Part 4 contains the result of the PRAMHS State Mental Health Agencies mail survey. Data provide information concerning interaction with SUA, efforts to decrease the number of elderly in state mental health institutions, efforts by the elderly to influence policy decisions, and factors influencing delivery and coordination of mental health services to the elderly.
These data are freely available.
Roeder, Philip W. Policy Research on Aging and Mental Health Services (PRAMHS) Project. ICPSR09043-v2. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2008-11-18. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09043.v2
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09043.v2
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Health and Human Services. Administration on Aging (90-AR-0026)
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Unit of Observation: facility
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
Conducted by the University of Kentucky.
- Standardized missing values.
- Created online analysis version with question text.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-07-13
- 2008-11-18 New files were added. These files included one or more of the following: Stata setup, SAS transport (CPORT), SPSS system, Stata system, SAS supplemental syntax, and Stata supplemental syntax files, and a tab-delimited ASCII data file. Some other minor edits were made to improve the data and documentation.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 2004-12-21 Data definition statements for SAS and SPSS were consolidated and updated to reduce the number of parts from forty to four. Stata data definition statements were created for all four parts. The codebooks were converted from ASCII to PDF format.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)