Alternate Title: NYS 1978
Principal Investigator(s): Elliott, Delbert, University of Colorado. Institute of Behavioral Science
Youth data for the third wave of the National Youth Survey are contained in this data collection, which includes data for youth interviewed in 1979 about events and behavior of the preceding year. The first wave of this study was conducted in 1976 (ICPSR 8375) and the second wave in 1977 (ICPSR 8424). Data were collected on the demographic and socioeconomic status of respondents, disruptive events in the home, youth aspirations, expectations for future goals, social isolation, normlessness, labeling, perceived disapproval, attitudes toward deviance, exposure and commitment to delinquent peers, sex roles, attitudes toward sexual assault, interpersonal violence, pressure for substance abuse by peers, exposure to substance abuse by parents, self-reported delinquency, and drug and alcohol use.
These data are freely available.
Elliott, Delbert. National Youth Survey [United States]: Wave III, 1978. ICPSR08506-v2. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2008-09-10. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08506.v2
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08506.v2
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Health and Human Services. National Institutes of Health. National Institute of Mental Health (MH27552)
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention ( 78-JN-AX-0003)
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: aspirations, behavior problems, career goals, community involvement, delinquent behavior, depression (psychology), deviance, drugs, expectations, family conflict, family relations, health services utilization, life events, neighborhood conditions, parental attitudes, parents, peer influence, sexual behavior, social attitudes, social behavior, social isolation, social values, socioeconomic status, spouse abuse, substance abuse, teenage pregnancies, victimization, young adults, youths
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Unit of Observation: Individual
Universe: Youth in the United States.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
Two different schedules were used with two separate subsamples. These schedules are similar except for the sections on drug use, and data from both these schedules have been integrated into a single coding frame. Question numbers with an asterisk (*) were used only in the National Institute of Mental Health interviews, and question numbers with a numeric sign (#) were used only in the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention interview schedule.
Produced by the University of Colorado, Behavioral Research Institute at Boulder, CO.
Sample: National sample of the American youth population selected by area probability sampling.
- Performed consistency checks.
- Standardized missing values.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1986-08-18
- 2008-09-10 New files were added. These files included one or more of the following: Stata setup, SAS transport (CPORT), SPSS system, Stata system, SAS supplemental syntax, and Stata supplemental syntax files, and a tab-delimited ASCII data file. Some other minor edits were made to improve the data and documentation.
Related Publications (see Notes)
- List all ~181 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)