National Youth Survey [United States]: Wave IV, 1979 (ICPSR 8917)
Alternate Title: NYS 1979
Principal Investigator(s): Elliott, Delbert, University of Colorado. Institute of Behavioral Science
Youth data for the fourth wave of the National Youth Survey are contained in this data collection. The first wave of this survey was conducted in 1976 (ICPSR 8375), the second wave in 1977 (ICPSR 8424), and the third wave in 1978 (ICPSR 8506). Data are available in this wave on the demographic and socioeconomic status of respondents, disruptive events in the home, youth aspirations and expectations, social isolation, normlessness, perceived disapproval by parents and peers, attitudes toward deviance, exposure and commitment to delinquent peers, sex roles, interpersonal violence, pressure for substance abuse by peers, self-reported delinquency, drug and alcohol use, and victimization.
These data are freely available.
Elliott, Delbert. National Youth Survey [United States]: Wave IV, 1979. ICPSR08917-v2. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2008-09-10. doi:10.3886/ICPSR08917.v2
Persistent URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08917.v2
This survey was funded by:
- United States Department of Health and Human Services. National Institutes of Health. National Institute of Mental Health (MH27552,)
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (78-JN-AX-0003)
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: aspirations, behavior problems, career goals, community involvement, delinquent behavior, depression (psychology), deviance, drugs, expectations, family conflict, family relations, health services utilization, life events, neighborhood conditions, parental attitudes, parents, peer influence, sexual behavior, social attitudes, social behavior, social isolation, social values, socioeconomic status, spouse abuse, substance abuse, teenage pregnancies, victimization, young adults, youths
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Unit of Observation: Individual
Universe: Youths in the United States.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
Produced by the University of Colorado, Behavioral Research Institute at Boulder, CO.
Sample: National sample of the American youth population selected by area probability sampling.
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Performed consistency checks.
- Standardized missing values.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1988-10-25
- 2008-09-10 New files were added. These files included one or more of the following: Stata setup, SAS transport (CPORT), SPSS system, Stata system, SAS supplemental syntax, and Stata supplemental syntax files, and a tab-delimited ASCII data file. Some other minor edits were made to improve the data and documentation.
- List all ~130 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
Use any of the notification links to add this study to your RSS feed; you will then receive notification if the study is substantively updated.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.