Race of Prisoners Admitted to State and Federal Institutions in the United States, 1926-1986 (ICPSR 9165)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Bureau of Justice Statistics; Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research
This data collection includes tabulations of annual adult admissions to federal and state correctional institutions by race. Data are provided for the years 1926 to 1986 and include tabulations for prisons in each of the 50 states and the District of Columbia, as well as federal prison totals and United States totals. The figures were derived from a voluntary reporting program in which each state, the District of Columbia, and the Federal Bureau of Prisons reported summary and detailed statistics as a part of the National Prisoner Statistics series. Individual state and United States population figures according to racial categories also are provided.
These data are freely available.
This dataset is maintained and distributed by the National Archive of Criminal Justice Data (NACJD), the criminal justice archive within ICPSR. NACJD is primarily sponsored by three agencies within the U.S. Department of Justice: the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the National Institute of Justice, and the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention .
United States Department of Justice. Bureau of Justice Statistics, and Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research. Race of Prisoners Admitted to State and Federal Institutions in the United States, 1926-1986 . ICPSR09165-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1999. doi:10.3886/ICPSR09165.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09165.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Data Types: aggregate data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) The 54 cases in this collection represent the 50 states and the District of Columbia plus three additional categories, United States totals, federal totals, and state totals. The United States totals are the sum of the federal and state categories. (2) The codebook is provided as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided through the ICPSR Website on the Internet.
(1) NATIONAL PRISONER STATISTICS report series, and (2) Federal Bureau of Prisons publications
Original ICPSR Release: 1991-05-03
- 1999-10-04 The SPSS data definition statements were updated and SAS data definition statements were created for this collection. Also, Appendix A of the codebook was scanned and the entire codebook was converted to PDF.
Related Publications (?)
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)