Mexican Origin People in the United States: the 1979 Chicano Survey (ICPSR 8436)
Principal Investigator(s): Arce, Carlos H.
The 1979 Chicano Survey, conducted by the Institute for Social Research, University of Michigan, was a household survey of persons of Mexican descent living in California, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Texas, and Chicago, Illinois. The purpose of the survey was to compile a statistically representative and comprehensive body of empirical information about the social, economic, and psychological status of Chicanos. Interviews were conducted in Spanish or English, depending upon the respondent's preference. Major topics covered were mental and physical health and use of health services, family background and composition, customary practices and values, language use and attitudes, employment history, social identity, group consciousness, and political opinions and participation.
These data are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Because you are not logged in, we cannot verify that you will be able to download these data.
Arce, Carlos H. Mexican Origin People in the United States: the 1979 Chicano Survey. ICPSR08436-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1997. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08436.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08436.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Health and Human Services. National Institutes of Health. National Institute of Mental Health
- Center for Minority Group Mental Health Programs
- Ford Foundation
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: cultural identity, cultural traditions, cultural values, demographic characteristics, economic conditions, employment, families, health services utilization, health status, mental health, Mexican Americans, social attitudes
Date of Collection:
Universe: All heads of households or spouses of heads of households of Mexican descent, residing in housing units in California, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Texas, and Chicago, Illinois.
Data Types: survey data
Sample: Of over 11,000 people screened, 1,400 met the Mexican ancestry criterion. Of this total, 991 interviews were collected.
personal interviews with bilingual questionnaire
Original ICPSR Release: 1985-10-09
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 1997-11-04 The codebook, data map, and data collection instrument have been converted to PDF files, and minor corrections were made to the SPSS data definition statements.
Related Publications (?)
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)