National Youth Survey [United States]: Wave I, 1976 (ICPSR 8375)
Alternate Title: NYS 1976
Principal Investigator(s): Elliott, Delbert, University of Colorado. Institute of Behavioral Science
This dataset contains parent and youth data for the National Youth Survey. Youths and one of their parents or legal guardians were interviewed in early 1977 about events and behavior occurring during calendar year 1976. Included is information on the demographics and socioeconomic status of respondents, disruptive events in the home, neighborhood problems, parental aspirations for youth, labeling, integration of family and peer contexts, attitudes toward deviance in adults and juveniles, parental discipline, community involvement, and drug use.
These data are freely available.
Elliott, Delbert. National Youth Survey [United States]: Wave I, 1976. ICPSR08375-v2. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2008-08-01. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08375.v2
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08375.v2
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Health and Human Services. National Institutes of Health. National Institute of Mental Health (MH27552)
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: aspirations, behavior problems, career goals, community involvement, delinquent behavior, depression (psychology), deviance, drugs, expectations, family conflict, family relations, health services utilization, life events, neighborhood conditions, parental attitudes, parents, peer influence, sexual behavior, social attitudes, social behavior, social isolation, social values, socioeconomic status, spouse abuse, substance abuse, teenage pregnancies, victimization, youths
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Unit of Observation: Individual
Universe: Youths in the United States.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
Produced by the University of Colorado, Behavioral Research Institute at Boulder, CO.
Sample: National sample of the American youth population selected by area probability sampling.
- Performed consistency checks.
- Standardized missing values.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Restrictions: Users are reminded by the United States Department of Health and Human Services that these data are to be used solely for statistical analysis and reporting of aggregated information and not for the investigation of specific individuals or treatment facilities.
Original ICPSR Release: 1985-05-24
- 2008-08-01 New files were added. These files included one or more of the following: Stata setup, SAS transport (CPORT), SPSS system, Stata system, SAS supplemental syntax, and Stata supplemental syntax files, and a tab-delimited ASCII data file.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~209 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)