Principal Investigator(s): Social Security Administration
This data collection supplies standard monthly labor force data for the week prior to the survey. Comprehensive information is given on the employment status, occupation, and industry of persons 14 years old and older. Additional data are available concerning weeks worked and hours per week worked, reason not working full-time, total income and income components, and residence. This study matches data taken from CURRENT POPULATION SURVEY: ANNUAL DEMOGRAPHIC FILE, 1973 (ICPSR 7564) with Social Security benefit and earnings records. Also included is a limited set of tax items furnished by the Internal Revenue Service from the 1972 Federal Income Tax Returns. Information on demographic characteristics such as, sex, ages, race, marital status, veteran status, educational attainment, household relationship, and Hispanic origin, is available for each person in the household enumerated.
Series: Current Population Survey Series
These data are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Because you are not logged in, we cannot verify that you will be able to download these data.
This study is provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
WARNING: This study is over 150MB in size and may take several minutes to download on a typical internet connection.
Social Security Administration. CURRENT POPULATION SURVEY, 1973, AND SOCIAL SECURITY RECORDS: EXACT MATCH DATA. ICPSR version. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census and Social Security Administration, Long-Range Research Branch [producer], 197?. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2001. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07616.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07616.v1
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: demographic characteristics, employment, Hispanic origins, households, income, labor force, pension plans, pensions, population characteristics, population estimates, retirement plans, social security, unemployment, working hours
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Civilian noninstitutionalized population of the United States including members of the armed forces living in civilian housing units in March 1973.
Data Types: survey data, and administrative records data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) All records contain weights, which must be used in any analysis. (2) The codebook is provided by ICPSR as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided on the ICPSR Web site.
personal interviews and Social Security and Internal Revenue Service records
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-03-18
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- View publications for the study (~19)
- View publications for the series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.