Slave Hires, 1775-1865 (ICPSR 7422)
This study presents data pertaining to slave hiring transactions that occurred between 1775-1865 in eight states of the southern United States: Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Louisiana, Tennessee, Georgia, and Mississippi. The data were obtained from probate records on deposit in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints Genealogical Society Library, Salt Lake City, Utah. Variables document the location of the hiring transaction and the period and rate of hire, as well as the hired slaves' age, sex, occupational skills, and condition of health. A related study is SLAVE SALES AND APPRAISALS, 1775-1865 (ICPSR 7421), also prepared by Robert W. Fogel and Stanley L. Engerman.
Fogel, Robert W., and Stanley L. Engerman. SLAVE HIRES, 1775-1865. ICPSR07422-v3. Rochester, NY: University of Rochester [producer], 1976. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 2006-10-11. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07422.v3
Persistent URL: https://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07422.v3
This study was funded by:
- National Science Foundation
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: African Americans, Antebellum South (USA), eighteenth century, history, nineteenth century, slave hires, slave labor, slave ownership, slave populations, slavery, Southern United States
Variable 5, recording "Year in which Hiring Transaction Occurred", has values ranging from 1785 to 1865, and value 0 for "year unknown".
Probate records for the southern states, on deposit in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints Genealogical Society Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Created online analysis version with question text.
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-05-11
- 2006-10-11 ICPSR has added value labels found in the original documentation from the principal investigators to the setup and data files. A PDF codebook was added and the metadata record was revised.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)