ANES 1968 Time Series Study (ICPSR 7281)
Alternate Title: American National Election Study, 1968
Principal Investigator(s): University of Michigan. Survey Research Center. Political Behavior Program
This study is part of a time-series collection of national surveys fielded continuously since 1952. The election studies are designed to present data on Americans' social backgrounds, enduring political predispositions, social and political values, perceptions and evaluations of groups and candidates, opinions on questions of public policy, and participation in political life. A Black supplement of 116 respondents is included with the national cross-section of 1,557 respondents. Additional content areas included in this study were assessment of the respondent's faith in local, state, and national governments, voting on propositions on the ballot, the respondent's attempts to influence others to vote, participation in local school board activities and opinions on local education problems, and placement of political figures on a "feeling thermometer".
University of Michigan. Survey Research Center. Political Behavior Program. ANES 1968 Time Series Study. ICPSR07281-v3. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2015-11-10. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07281.v3
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07281.v3
This study was funded by:
- Ford Foundation
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: African Americans, candidates, congressional elections, domestic policy, economic conditions, education, foreign policy, government performance, information sources, Johnson Administration (1963-1969), local politics, national elections, political affiliation, political attitudes, political campaigns, political efficacy, political issues, political participation, presidential elections, public approval, public opinion, referendum, school boards, special interest groups, trust in government, voter expectations, voter history, voting behavior
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: United States citizens 18 years of age and older living in private households in the coterminous United States.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
The SAS transport file was created using the SAS CPORT procedure.
Sample: The respondents in this study are divided into two samples -- a national cross-section sample, consisting of 1,557 respondents, and a Black supplement sample of 116 respondents.
Mode of Data Collection: face-to-face interview, mail questionnaire
personal interviews and mail-in questionnaires
- Performed consistency checks.
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-07-06
- 2015-11-10 The study metadata was updated.
- 1999-12-14 The data for this study are now available in SAS transport and SPSS export formats, in addition to the ASCII data file. Variables in the dataset have been renumbered to the following format: 2-digit (or 2-character) year prefix + 4 digits + [optional] 1-character suffix. Dataset ID and version variables have also been added. In addition, SAS and SPSS data definition statements have been created for this collection, and the data collection instruments are now available as a PDF file.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~924 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)