Metro Court Project: A Study of Mediation and Adjudication in Bernalillo County (Albuquerque), New Mexico, Small Claims Court, 1990-1992 (ICPSR 6487)
Principal Investigator(s): LaFree, Gary; Rack, Christine
This study used court records and interviews with disputants, litigants, and mediators in Bernalillo County, New Mexico, to compare the effects of ethnicity and gender in mediated versus adjudicated small claims disputes. Initial structured telephone interviews with both adjudicated and mediated claimants and respondents (Parts 1-4) were conducted. Follow-up questionnaires (Parts 6-8) were then administered to the initial interviewed groups. Data from mediators (Part 9) were collected from self-administered structured questionnaires. Pertinent questions from all eight survey instruments were combined into a master file (Part 5). This data collection also includes two qualitative summary files of adjudicated and mediated cases (Parts 10-11). The unit of analysis is the small claims case.
These data are freely available.
This dataset is maintained and distributed by the National Archive of Criminal Justice Data (NACJD), the criminal justice archive within ICPSR. NACJD is primarily sponsored by three agencies within the U.S. Department of Justice: the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the National Institute of Justice, and the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention .
WARNING: Because this study has many datasets, the download all files option has been suppressed, and you will need to download one dataset at a time.
LaFree, Gary, and Christine Rack. Metro Court Project: A Study of Mediation and Adjudication in Bernalillo County (Albuquerque), New Mexico, Small Claims Court, 1990-1992. ICPSR06487-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1995. doi:10.3886/ICPSR06487.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR06487.v1
This study was funded by:
- Fund for Research on Dispute Resolution (#G4-90-35)
Scope of Study
Date of Collection:
Universe: All non-eviction small claims cases (less than $5,000) with adult individuals, married couples, or businesses on both sides that proceeded to hearing or mediation with both parties present.
Data Types: administrative records data, survey data, and machine-readable text
Data Collection Notes:
(1) Parts 10 and 11 of this collection are text files that are qualitative summaries of mediated and adjudicated cases. (2) The original questionnaires are available only in hardcopy form upon request from ICPSR.
Sample: A random selection of adjudicated cases and a random assignment of answered claims to mediation.
Bernalillo County, New Mexico, small claims court records (claims, answers, and judgments) and mediated agreements
Original ICPSR Release: 1995-12-20
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 12 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
Related Publications (?)
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)