Historical, Demographic, Economic, and Social Data: The United States, 1790-1970 (ICPSR 3)
Principal Investigator(s): Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research
Detailed county and state-level ecological or descriptive data for the United States for the years 1790 to 1970 are contained in this collection. These data files contain extensive information about the social and political character of the United States, including a breakdown of population by state, race, nationality, number of families, size of the family, births, deaths, marriages, occupation, religion, and general economic conditions. Though not complete over the full time span of this study, statistics are available on such diverse subjects as total numbers of newspapers and periodicals, total capital invested in manufacturing, total numbers of educational institutions, total number of churches, taxation by state, and land surface area in square miles.
These data are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Because you are not logged in, we cannot verify that you will be able to download these data.
Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research. Historical, Demographic, Economic, and Social Data: The United States, 1790-1970. ICPSR00003-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 197?. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR00003.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR00003.v1
This study was funded by:
- National Science Foundation. Research Applied to National Needs (GS-1435, GS-1435A1, GS-1231, GS-2473, and APR75-01320)
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: census data, counties, demographic characteristics, economic conditions, eighteenth century, families, historical data, marriage, national identity, nineteenth century, occupations, political change, population, population size, religion, states (USA), twentieth century
Geographic Coverage: United States
Universe: The Population of the United States from 1790-1970
Data Types: aggregate data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) This study has been updated and revised as HISTORICAL, DEMOGRAPHIC, ECONOMIC, AND SOCIAL DATA: THE UNITED STATES, 1790-2000 (ICPSR 2896). ICPSR staff recommends that, for most purposes, researchers use the updated version istead of ICPSR 0003
(1) United States Bureau of the Census decennial census reports, and (2) SURVEY OF CHURCHES AND CHURCH MEMBERSHIP, 1952
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-07-06
- 2005-12-22 All files were removed from dataset 35 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~154 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)