Census of Population and Housing, 2000 [United States]: Summary File 1, States (ICPSR 3194)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Commerce. Bureau of the Census
Summary File 1 contains 100-percent United States decennial Census data, which is the information compiled from the questions asked of all people and about every housing unit. Population items include sex, age, race, Hispanic or Latino origin, household relationship, and group quarters occupancy. Housing items include occupancy status, vacancy status, and tenure (owner occupied or renter occupied). There are a total of 171 population tables ("P") and 56 housing tables ("H") provided down to the block level, and 59 population tables provided down to the census tract level ("PCT") for a total of 286 tables. In addition, 14 population tables and 4 housing tables at the block level and 4 population tables at the census tract level are repeated by major race and Hispanic or Latino groups. The data present population and housing characteristics for the total population, population totals for an extensive list of race (American Indian and Alaska Native tribes, Asian, Native Hawaiian, and Other Pacific Islander) and Hispanic or Latino groups, and population and housing characteristics for a limited list of race and Hispanic or Latino groups. Population and housing items may be crosstabulated. Selected aggregates and medians also are provided. Summary File 1 is released in the form of individual files for each of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico.
These data are freely available.
This study is provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
WARNING: This study is over 150MB in size and may take several minutes to download on a typical internet connection.
United States Department of Commerce. Bureau of the Census. Census of Population and Housing, 2000 [United States]: Summary File 1, States. ICPSR03194-v2. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2004. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR03194
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR03194.v2
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, United States, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming
Date of Collection:
Universe: All persons and housing units in the United States in 2000.
Data Types: census/enumeration data
Data Collection Notes:
The data are provided in 40 segments [files] per state. These segments are the Geographic Header, Tables P1-P5, P6-P18, P19-P33, P34-P45, P12A-P12E, P12F-P16I, P17A-P27C, P27D-P28E, P28F-P30H, P30I-P34I, P35A-P35I, PCT1-PCT9, PCT10-PCT11, PCT12, PCT13-PCT17, PCT12A,...,PCT12O, PCT13A-PCT13E, PCT13F-PCT15C, PCT15D-PCT17B, PCT17C-PCT17E, PCT17F-PCT17H, PCT17I, H1-H20, H11A-H15I, and H16A-H16I. The Geographic Header segment is in fixed-format ASCII and the Table files are in comma-delimited ASCII format. The Geographic Header has 83 variables and the Table segments have 8,196 variables total. The Geographic Header has a record length of 400 characters. The record lengths vary in the Table segments. Segments 1-11 and 37-39 have more cases than segments 12-36.
The part numbers are not consecutive. They correspond to FIPS codes for states.
- Created variable labels and/or value labels.
Original ICPSR Release: 2001-07-26
- 2013-05-24 Multiple Census data file segments were repackaged for distribution into a single zip archive per dataset. No changes were made to the data or documentation.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 85 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 84 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 83 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 82 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 81 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2004-09-23 The codebook (Part 85) has been replaced with updated codebook from the Bureau of the Census. The SAS, SPSS, and Stata data definition statements (Parts 82-84) have been corrected.
- 2002-01-25 The codebook (Part 85) was replaced, and SAS, SPSS, and Stata data definition statements (Parts 82-84) were added to the collection.
- 2001-08-24 Parts 2, 12, 13, 15, 19, 21, 23, 33, 37, 40, 45, 49, 53 and 54 (states Alaska, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Utah, Washington and West Virginia) were added to the collection.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)