Uniform Crime Reporting Program Data [United States]: County Level Arrest and Offenses Data, 1977-1983 (ICPSR 8703)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Federal Bureau of Investigation
The files in this collection contain counts of arrests and offenses for UCR index crimes: murder, rape, robbery, assault, burglary, larceny, auto theft, and arson. County populations are also reported.
These data are freely available.
National Archive of Criminal Justice Data
This dataset is maintained and distributed by the National Archive of Criminal Justice Data (NACJD), the criminal justice archive within ICPSR. NACJD is primarily sponsored by three agencies within the U.S. Department of Justice: the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the National Institute of Justice, and the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.
U.S. Dept. of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation. UNIFORM CRIME REPORTING PROGRAM DATA [UNITED STATES]: COUNTY LEVEL ARREST AND OFFENSES DATA, 1977-1983. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation [producer], 1984. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1998. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08703.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08703.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: arrests, arson, assault, auto theft, burglary, counties, crime rates, crime reporting, crime statistics, larceny, law enforcement, murder, offenses, rape, robbery, Uniform Crime Reports
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Local law enforcement agencies in the United States.
Data Types: aggregate data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) Data have been aggregated to the county level. Within each county, data for agencies reporting 6 to 11 months of information were weighted to produce 12-month equivalents. Agencies reporting less than 6 months of data were excluded from the aggregation. Data from agencies reporting only statewide figures were allocated to counties proportionate to their share of the state population. (2) The codebook is provided as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided through the ICPSR Website on the Internet.
Original ICPSR Release: 1988-06-01
- 2006-03-30 File CB8703.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 1998-08-03 SAS and SPSS data definition statements have been added to this collection. Also, the codebook has been converted to a PDF file.
- View publications for the study (~198)
- View publications for the series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)