Uniform Crime Reporting Program Data [United States]: Arrests by Age, Sex, and Race for Police Agencies in Metropolitan Statistical Areas, 1960-1997 (ICPSR 2538)
Principal Investigator(s): Chilton, Roland; Weber, Dee
These data provide information on the number of arrests reported to the Federal Bureau of Investigation's (FBI) Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program each year by police agencies in metropolitan statistical areas. Although not as well known as the "Crimes Known to the Police" data drawn from the Uniform Crime Report's Return A form, the arrest reports by age, sex, and race provide valuable data on 43 offenses. For this collection, the arrests reported by each agency were summarized for each of the years 1960 through 1997, and the original Uniform Crime Reports data were restructured to create two separate files for each year, a header record and a detail record. Header files can be linked to detail files by the originating agency identifier (ORI). Other variables that are common to both types of files are state, census group, year, division, and metropolitan statistical agency (MSA). The header datasets also include the agency name and the population covered. The detail files also contain the offense code and the age, sex, and race of the arrestees.
The public-use data files in this collection are available for access by the general public. Access does not require affiliation with an ICPSR member institution.
This dataset is maintained and distributed by the National Archive of Criminal Justice Data (NACJD), the criminal justice archive within ICPSR. NACJD is primarily sponsored by three agencies within the U.S. Department of Justice: the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the National Institute of Justice, and the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.
WARNING: Because this study has many datasets, the download all files option has been suppressed, and you will need to download one dataset at a time.
WARNING: This study is over 150MB in size and may take several minutes to download on a typical internet connection.
Chilton, Roland, and Dee Weber. Uniform Crime Reporting Program Data [United States]: Arrests by Age, Sex, and Race for Police Agencies in Metropolitan Statistical Areas, 1960-1997. ICPSR02538-v2. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2000. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02538.v2
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02538.v2
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Federal Bureau of Investigation
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Arrests reported by cooperating police agencies in metropolitan statistical areas in the United States from January 1960 through December 1997.
Data Types: aggregate data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) Starting in 1974, the data were provided monthly to the Federal Bureau of Investigation by local law enforcement agencies participating in the FBI's Uniform Crime Reporting Program. These monthly data were summarized by the UCR section to produce yearly arrest totals for each agency. Prior to 1974, local police agencies submitted annual, rather than monthly, summary reports of arrests by age, sex, and race. (2) Data for 1960-1972 were given to the principal investigator in 1976. Additional datasets for specific years were provided over the following 19 years. In 1996, through a cooperative arrangement between ICPSR, the Bureau of Justice Statistics, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, data were provided for the following years: 1973, 1977, 1979, 1981-1984, 1986-1989, 1991-1992, and 1994. (3) Because the data layout changed slightly in 1980, the data were restructured and reformatted at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, in 1996 and 1997. All datasets now have the same layout, with pre-1980 codes and codes for 1980 and beyond clearly indicated. (4) The codebook is provided as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided through the ICPSR Web site.
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
Original ICPSR Release: 1999-04-12
- 2006-03-30 File CB2538.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 2000-11-15 Header and Detail files (Parts 73-76) have been added to this collection, along with corresponding SAS and SPSS data definition statements. Also, the codebook has been updated.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~43 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.