Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Health and Human Services. National Center for Health Statistics
The National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey II: Mortality Study, 1992 (NH2MS) followed a subset of the participants in the second National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES II). The NH2MS cohort is comprised of adult respondents to the NHANES II who were 30-75 years of age at the time of the NHANES II, and who were interviewed and examined for NHANES II. Some participants who were 74 years of age during their interview turned 75 years old between their interview and the examination. The NHANES series of data collections included standardized physical examinations, laboratory tests, and interviews that covered various health-related topics. The NH2MS was designed to investigate the association between factors measured at baseline and overall mortality or death from specific causes. The NH2MS involved searching national databases containing information about mortality and causes of death. The study was entirely passive: participants were not recontacted, nor were all death certificates obtained. Instead, mortality status was ascertained solely by computerized matching to national databases and evaluation of the resulting matches. Furthermore, no recontact is planned in the future. Rather, matching to the National Death Index (NDI) and to other national databases will continue on a periodic basis. The Mortality Status file (Part 1) contains mortality status and demographic data for all NH2MS participants who were 30-75 years of age at their NHANES II examination. The Cause of Death file (Part 2) contains one record for each known decedent for whom multiple causes of death were obtained (2,103 out of the 2,145 participants identified as deceased). Cause of death is missing for some decedents either because there was no matching record on the NCHS Multiple Cause of Death files or the death certificate was not found through the state vital statistics office.
These data are freely available.
This dataset is maintained and distributed by the National Archive of Computerized Data on Aging (NACDA), the aging program within ICPSR. NACDA is sponsored by the National Institute on Aging (NIA) at the National Institutes of Heath (NIH).
U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services, National Center for Health Statistics. NATIONAL HEALTH AND NUTRITION EXAMINATION SURVEY II: MORTALITY STUDY, 1992. ICPSR02631-v1. Hyattsville, MD: U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services, National Center for Health Statistics [producer], 1992. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1999. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02631.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02631.v1
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: The civilian, noninstitutionalized population of the United States aged 6-74.
Data Types: administrative records data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) The NH2MS mortality data can be linked with the earlier baseline NHANES II data to examine the relationship between various factors and specific cause of death. One important ramification of the NH2MS design is that persons not found to be deceased are assumed to be alive for analytic purposes. As a result, there is a potential for misclassification of vital status. Researchers using the NH2MS data should be aware of this study limitation. (2) During this first wave of the study, mortality status was ascertained for the years 1976-1992. Two participants were unable to be followed because of incomplete personal identifying data and are considered lost to follow-up. The 9,250 cohort members were traced in the NH2MS by searching national databases containing mortality and cause-of-death information. The length of follow-up period ranges from 12-16 years. Approximately 23 percent (n = 2,145) of the NH2MS cohort were found to be deceased as of December 31, 1992. (3) Per agreement with NCHS, ICPSR distributes the data files and text of the technical documentation for this collection as prepared by NCHS.
Sample: Participants in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey II who were 30-75 years of age and who were examined as part of the NHANES II.
National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey II, National Center for Health Statistics. Multiple Cause of Death files, National Death Index, Social Security Administration Death Master File, and state vital statistics death certificates
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Created online analysis version with question text.
Original ICPSR Release: 1999-06-23
- 2006-03-30 File CB2631.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
Related Publications (see Notes)
- List all ~25 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.