Principal Investigator(s): Survey Research Center
This study is part of a time-series collection of national surveys fielded continuously since 1952. The American National Election Studies are designed to present data on Americans' social backgrounds, enduring political predispositions, social and political values, perceptions and evaluations of groups and candidates, opinions on questions of public policy, and participation in political life. The data for this collection are derived from an interviewing program across three studies: the 1956 Presidential Pre- and Post-Election (AMERICAN NATIONAL ELECTION STUDY, 1956 [ICPSR 7214]), 1958 Congressional (AMERICAN NATIONAL ELECTION STUDY, 1958 [ICPSR 7215]), and 1960 Presidential Pre- and Post-Election Studies (AMERICAN NATIONAL ELECTION STUDY, 1960 [ICPSR 7216]).
Survey Research Center. American Panel Study: 1956, 1958, 1960. ICPSR07252-v2. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2000. doi:10.3886/ICPSR07252.v2
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07252.v2
This study was funded by:
- National Science Foundation
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: candidates, congressional elections, domestic policy, economic conditions, Eisenhower Administration (1953-1961), foreign policy, government performance, information sources, national elections, political affiliation, political campaigns, political efficacy, political history, political participation, presidential elections, public approval, public opinion, special interest groups, trust in government, voter history, voting behavior
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: All United States citizens of voting age residing in housing units other than on military reservations in the 48 coterminous states.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
The SAS transport file was created using the SAS CPORT procedure.
V560001 to V560298 are 1956 variables, V580299 to V580566 are 1958 variables, V600567 to V600840 are 1960 variables, and V600841 to V600843 are Panel cross-year variables.
Sample: The data collection is a cross-section representative of persons 18 years of age or older living in private households in the coterminous United States.
Mode of Data Collection: face-to-face interview, self-enumerated questionnaire
- Performed consistency checks.
- Standardized missing values.
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-06-19
- 2000-03-15 The data for this study are now available in SAS transport and SPSS export formats in addition to the ASCII data file. Variables in the dataset have been renumbered to the following format: 2-digit (or 2-character) year prefix + 4 digits + [optional] 1-character suffix. Dataset ID and version variables have also been added. In addition, SAS and SPSS data definition statements have been prepared, and the codebook is provided in machine-readable ASCII text form.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~80 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)