ANES 1948 Time Series Study (ICPSR 7218)
Principal Investigator(s): Campbell, Angus, University of Michigan. Institute for Social Research. Survey Research Center.; Kahn, Robert L., University of Michigan. Institute for Social Research. Survey Research Center
This study is part of a time-series collection of national surveys fielded continuously since 1952. The election studies are designed to present data on Americans' social backgrounds, enduring political predispositions, social and political values, perceptions and evaluations of groups and candidates, opinions on questions of public policy, and participation in political life.
Data in this collection are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Please log in so we can determine if you are with a member institution and have access to these data files.
This study is provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
Campbell, Angus, and Robert L. Kahn. ANES 1948 Time Series Study. ICPSR07218-v4. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2015-11-10. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07218.v4
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07218.v4
This study was funded by:
- National Science Foundation
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: candidates, congressional elections, domestic policy, economic conditions, foreign policy, government performance, information sources, national elections, political affiliation, political attitudes, political campaigns, political efficacy, political issues, political participation, presidential elections, public approval, public opinion, public policy, special interest groups, Truman Administration (1945-1953), trust in government, voter expectations, voter history, voting behavior
Geographic Coverage: United States
The SAS transport file was created using the SAS CPORT procedure.
Sample: Individuals interviewed were a representative cross-section of the United States adult population living in private households. The sample was selected by area sampling. The 662 interviews came from 32 sample points: 27 widely scattered counties plus 5 of the 12 largest metropolitan areas, each of the latter including several counties.
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Performed consistency checks.
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-05-08
- 2015-11-10 The study metadata was updated.
- 1999-12-14 The data are now available in SAS transport and SPSS export formats, in addition to the ASCII data file. Variables in this dataset have been renumbered to the following format: 2-digit (or 2-character) prefix + 4 digits + [optional] 1-character suffix. Dataset ID and version variables have also been added. In addition, SAS and SPSS data definition statements have been created, and the codebook has been replaced.
- List all ~36 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.