Slave Sales and Appraisals, 1775-1865 (ICPSR 7421)
This study presents data pertaining to slave sales and appraisals that took place from 1775 to 1865 in eight states of the southern United States: Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Louisiana, Tennessee, Georgia, and Mississippi. The data were obtained from probate records on deposit in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints Genealogical Society Library, Salt Lake City, Utah. Variables document the sale locations and the appraised and sale values of the slaves, as well as the slaves' age, sex, occupational skills, and condition of health. A related study is SLAVE HIRES, 1775-1865 (ICPSR 7422), also prepared by Robert W. Fogel and Stanley L. Engerman.
Data in this collection are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Please log in so we can determine if you are with a member institution and have access to these data files.
This study is provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
Fogel, Robert W., and Stanley L. Engerman. SLAVE SALES AND APPRAISALS, 1775-1865. ICPSR07421-v3. Rochester, NY: University of Rochester [producer], 1976. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 2006-10-11. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07421.v3
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07421.v3
This study was funded by:
- National Science Foundation
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: African Americans, Antebellum South (USA), eighteenth century, history, nineteenth century, slave appraisals, slave ownership, slave populations, slave sales, slavery, Southern United States
Variable 5, recording "Year in which Entry Occurred," has values ranging from 1742 to 1868.
probate records for the southern United States, on deposit in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints Genealogical Society Library, Salt Lake City, Utah
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Created online analysis version with question text.
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-07-02
- 2006-10-11 ICPSR has added value labels found in the original documentation from the principal investigators to the setup and data files. Variables V5, V7, V10, V12, V13, and V15 were reformatted as numeric variables. A PDF codebook was added and the metadata record was revised.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.