Capital Punishment in the United States, 1973-1991 (ICPSR 6514)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
This data collection provides annual data on prisoners under a sentence of death and on those whose offense sentences were commuted or vacated during the period 1973-1991. Information is supplied for basic sociodemographic characteristics such as age, sex, race, ethnicity, marital status at time of imprisonment, level of education, and state of incarceration. Criminal history data include prior felony convictions for criminal homicide and legal status at the time of the capital offense. Additional information is available for inmates removed from death row by yearend 1991 and for inmates who were executed.
Access to these data is restricted. Users interested in obtaining these data must complete a Restricted Data Use Agreement, specify the reasons for the request, and obtain IRB approval or notice of exemption for their research.
National Archive of Criminal Justice Data
This dataset is maintained and distributed by the National Archive of Criminal Justice Data (NACJD), the criminal justice archive within ICPSR. NACJD is primarily sponsored by three agencies within the U.S. Department of Justice: the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the National Institute of Justice, and the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.
United States Department of Justice. Bureau of Justice Statistics. Capital Punishment in the United States, 1973-1991. ICPSR06514-v2. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2008-11-12. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR06514.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR06514.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: All inmates on death row since 1972 in the United States.
Data Types: event/transaction data
Data Collection Notes:
The inmate identification numbers were assigned by the Bureau of the Census and have no purpose outside this data collection.
official prison records collected for the National Prisoner Statistics reporting series
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1995-10-30
- 2008-11-12 Minor changes have been made to the metadata.
- 2008-10-30 All parts have been moved to restricted access and are available only using the restricted access procedures.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)