NBGSA Founders Fellowship for Quantitative Methods
The National Black Graduate Student Association (NBGSA) is proud to announce the "NBGSA Founders Fellowship for Quantitative Methods" to provide scholarships for recipients to attend the Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR) Summer Program in Quantitative Methods of Social Research at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. The fellowship is named after the six founders of the NBGSA in recognition of the 25th anniversary of the National Black Graduate Student Association. The six founders, all alumni of the University of Michigan, are strong supporters of the ICPSR summer program and see this fellowship as a way to encourage Black faculty and graduate students to attend the Summer Program and advance their quantitative skills. The fellowship award is designed to reflect the NBGSA's commitment to scholarship and research in the black community and within the academy.
The NBGSA Founders Fellowship for Quantitative Methods is a waiver of Program Scholar fees to attend the four and/or eight week courses of ICPSR Summer Program. There will be two (2) awards available and both recipients will attend the summer program with the title "NBGSA Fellows". There are no citizenship requirements, and awardees will be selected regardless of field of study, academic institution, national origin, religion, gender, age, race/ethnicity, disability status, or sexual orientation. To be eligible, you must be a current member of the NBGSA (i.e. you must not have any membership dues outstanding). Non-members will not be considered for this opportunity.
How to apply
To apply for the NBGSA Founders Fellowship for Quantitative Methods, applicants should submit the following materials to FoundersFellowship@nbgsa.
1. A cover letter or statement of purpose including each the following items:
- Why the applicant would like to attend the ICPSR Summer Program.
- How the training will advance her/his career or completion of her/his degree.
- Why the applicant is a good fit for the NBGSA Founders Fellowship Award.
2. A Curriculum Vitae or Resume including GPA and evidence of scholarly work and/or work experience.
3. A Letter of Support/Recommendation from a faculty member or mentor/advisor in your field of study.
4. A copy of his/her unofficial transcript(s).
5. A writing sample featuring her/his use of quantitative reasoning or statistical methods.
- Application materials must be sent as attachments in a single email message with the subject line NBGSA Founders Fellowship 2013 - [Applicant Name] to FoundersFellowship@nbgsa.org
- Letters of support/recommendation must be sent via email to FoundersFellowship@nbgsa.org with the applicant's name in the email subject.
- Please note that letters sent via other forms of media (post, fax, etc.) will not be accepted.
DeadlineAll application materials are due by April 26th 2013.
More information on the ICPSR Summer Program in Quantitative Methods, including the course schedule and course descriptions, can be found on the website: http://www.icpsr.
- The first four-week session will run from June 24, 2013 through July 19, 2013. The second four-week session will run from July 22, 2013 through August 16, 2013. Please note that the Founders Fellowship does not cover short courses and living expenses.
- Individuals who have previously attended the ICPSR Summer Program are encouraged to apply; however, preference may be given to first-time attendees.
Please send all materials and questions to:
You can also view other NAHDAP announcements.