Survey of Inmates in Local Jails, 1989: [United States] (ICPSR 9419)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
This collection provides nationally representative data on persons held prior to trial and on convicted offenders serving sentences in local jails or awaiting transfer to state prisons. Data cover demographic characteristics of jail inmates (sex, race, ethnicity, Hispanic origin, employment), current offenses and sentences, characteristics of victims, criminal histories, jail activities and programs, prior drug and alcohol use and treatment, and health care services provided while in jail.
These data are available to the general public.
This dataset is maintained and distributed by the National Archive of Criminal Justice Data (NACJD), the criminal justice archive within ICPSR. NACJD is primarily sponsored by three agencies within the U.S. Department of Justice: the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the National Institute of Justice, and the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.
U.S. Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics. SURVEY OF INMATES OF LOCAL JAILS, 1989: [UNITED STATES]. Conducted by U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census. ICPSR09419-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 1997. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09419.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09419.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Universe: Male and female inmates held in institutions listed in the NATIONAL JAIL CENSUS, 1988, conducted by the Bureau of Justice Statistics.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
The data collection instrument is available only in hardcopy form upon request from ICPSR.
Sample: The sample design was a stratified two-stage selection. In the first stage, six strata were formed on the basis of the size of the male and female inmate populations in each jail. All of the jails in strata 1 and 2 were in the sample with certainty. In the remaining four strata, a systematic sample of jails was selected. In the second stage of sampling, separate systematic samples of male and female inmates were chosen from each jail.
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1991-10-23
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 1997-06-24 SAS data definition statements are now available for this collection, and the SPSS data definition statements were updated.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~25 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)