Survey of Inmates of State Correctional Facilities, 1979 (ICPSR 7856)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
The purpose of this survey was to obtain information on the characteristics of persons confined to prison and the circumstances and conditions of their confinement. The survey focuses on topics and issues that are of current and continuing concern to the correctional community and researchers. Information in the survey includes prison conditions such as staffing, space, and overcrowding, inmate rights and privileges, and rules and regulations concerning prison operation and inmate behavior. Additional data are provided on the presence of educational and vocational programs, drug and alcohol programs, medical treatment, and health care.
These data are freely available.
National Archive of Criminal Justice Data
This dataset is maintained and distributed by the National Archive of Criminal Justice Data (NACJD), the criminal justice archive within ICPSR. NACJD is primarily sponsored by three agencies within the U.S. Department of Justice: the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the National Institute of Justice, and the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.
WARNING: This study is over 150MB in size and may take several minutes to download on a typical internet connection.
United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics. Survey of Inmates of State Correctional Facilities, 1979. ICPSR07856-v3. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1997. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07856.v3
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07856.v3
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: correctional facilities, correctional facilities (adults), corrections, criminal histories, drug abuse, inmate classification, inmate deaths, inmate populations, inmate programs, inmates, offenses, prison conditions, prison overcrowding, substance abuse, treatment programs
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Persons confined to state correctional facilities in the United States in 1979.
Data Types: survey data
Sample: Stratified two-stage selection with probabilities proportional to size measures.
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-03-18
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 1997-02-13 SAS data definition statements are now available for this collection and the SPSS data definition statements have been updated.
- View publications for the study (~36)
- View publications that match your query (~4)
- View publications for the series
Top Publications that Match your Query
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)