Survey of Inmates in Local Jails, 1996: [United States] (ICPSR 6858)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
This collection provides nationally representative data on persons held prior to trial and on convicted offenders serving sentences in local jails or awaiting transfer to state prisons. Data cover demographic characteristics of jail inmates (sex, race, ethnicity, Hispanic origin, employment), current offenses and sentences, detention status, trial, bail, characteristics of victims, criminal histories, incident characteristics, socioeconomic circumstances, jail conditions and activities, and prior drug and alcohol use and treatment. Part 1, Numeric Data, contains numeric data for all questions in the survey, while Part 2, Alphanumeric Data, consists of nonnumeric answers to the "Other, Specify" selection available for some of the questions.
These data are freely available.
National Archive of Criminal Justice Data
This dataset is maintained and distributed by the National Archive of Criminal Justice Data (NACJD), the criminal justice archive within ICPSR. NACJD is primarily sponsored by three agencies within the U.S. Department of Justice: the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the National Institute of Justice, and the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.
WARNING: This study is over 150MB in size and may take several minutes to download on a typical internet connection.
United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics. Survey of Inmates in Local Jails, 1996: [United States]. ICPSR06858-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1999. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR06858.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR06858.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: correctional facilities, criminal histories, demographic characteristics, drug use, inmate programs, inmates, jail inmates, jails, offenses, sentencing
Geographic Coverage: United States
Universe: Male and female inmates held in institutions listed in the 1993 Census of Jails plus jails opened after the census but before the spring of 1996.
Data Types: survey data
Sample: The sample design was a stratified two-stage selection. In the first stage, six strata were formed on the basis of the size of the male and female inmate populations in each jail. In strata 1 and 2, all jails were selected -- those jails housing only females and those with more than 1,000 males or more than 50 females or both. In the remaining 4 strata, a systematic sample of jails was selected: 1 in every 2 jails was selected from stratum 3, 1 in 4 was from stratum 4, 1 in 25 from stratum 5, and 1 in 51 from stratum 6. Each jail within a stratum had an equal probability of selection.
computer-assisted personal interviews (CAPI)
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1999-06-02
- 2006-03-30 File CB6858.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 1999-08-18 Minor editing changes have been made to the codebook.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~28 citations associated with this study
- List ~4 citations that match your query
- View citations for the entire series
Top Publications that Match your Query
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)