Investigator(s): Bureau of Justice Statistics
Designed by the Bureau of Justice Statistics and conducted by the Bureau of the Census, these surveys are part of a series of data gathering efforts undertaken to assist policymakers in assessing and remedying deficiencies in the nation's correctional institutions. The surveys gathered extensive information on demographic, socioeconomic, and criminal history characteristics. Also obtained were details of in-mates' military service records such as time of service and branch of service, eligibility for benefits, type of discharge, and contact with veterans' groups. Other variables include age, ethnicity, education, lifetime drug use, drinking pattern prior to arrest, prior incarceration record, and prearrest annual income.
Years Produced: Every 5 years.
Most Recent Studies
- Survey of Inmates in State and Federal Correctional Facilities, 2004
- Survey of Inmates in State and Federal Correctional Facilities, 1997
- Survey of Inmates of Federal Correctional Facilities, 1991
- Survey of Inmates of State Correctional Facilities, 1991: [United States]
- Survey of Inmates of State Correctional Facilities, 1986: [United States]
- Survey of Inmates of State Correctional Facilities, 1979
- Survey of Inmates of State Correctional Facilities and Census of State Adult Correctional Facilities, 1974