Arrests As Communications to Criminals in St. Louis, 1970, 1972-1982 (ICPSR 9998)
This data collection was designed to assess the deterrent effects over time of police sanctioning activity, specifically that of arrests. Arrest and crime report data were collected from the St. Louis Police Department and divided into two categories: all Uniform Crime Reporting Program Part I crime reports, including arrests, and Part I felony arrests. The police department also generated geographical "x" and "y" coordinates corresponding to the longitude and latitude where each crime and arrest took place. Part 1 of this collection contains data on all reports made to police regarding Part I felony crimes from 1970 to 1982 (excluding 1971). Parts 2-13 contain the yearly data that were concatenated into one file for Part 1. Variables in Parts 2-13 include offense code, census tract, police district, police area, city block, date of crime, time crime occurred, value of property taken, and "x" and "y" coordinates of crime and arrest locations. Part 14 contains data on all Part I felony arrests. Included is information on offense charged, the marital status, sex, and race of the person arrested, census tract of arrest, and "x" and "y" coordinates.
The public-use data files in this collection are available for access by the general public. Access does not require affiliation with an ICPSR member institution.
WARNING: Because this study has many datasets, the download all files option has been suppressed, and you will need to download one dataset at a time.
WARNING: This study is over 150MB in size and may take several minutes to download on a typical internet connection.
Kohfeld, Carol W., and John Sprague. ARRESTS AS COMMUNICATIONS TO CRIMINALS IN ST. LOUIS, 1970, 1972-1982. ICPSR09998-v1. Los Altos, CA: Sociometrics Corporation [producer], 1992. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1999. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09998.v1
Persistent URL: https://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09998.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. National Institute of Justice (84-IJ-CX-0032)
Scope of Study
police reports and arrest data from the Planning Department of the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department
Original ICPSR Release: 1993-10-02
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 15 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 1999-06-02 SAS and SPSS data definition statements have been added to this collection. Also, the codebook has been converted to a PDF file.
- List all ~17 citations associated with this study
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.