Ethnicity and Homicide in California, 1850-1900 (ICPSR 9594)
Principal Investigator(s): McKanna, Clare V. Jr.
This data collection explores the relationship between homicide and ethnicity in California during 1850-1900. The data are presented in three files. Part 1, Homicide, includes information on time, place, location, and cause of the crime for all murder cases in seven California counties. The relationship between the victim and the accused, and the race, sex, age, and occupation of each are also provided. Part 2, Indictment, includes information on criminal charge, plea, verdict, and sentence for all murder trials in the same seven counties during the time period. Part 3 provides information on all prisoners incarcerated in California for murder. Included are age, sex, ethnicity, place of birth, and occupation of each prisoner, as well as sentence, disposition of case, years served, and year in which the prisoner was released.
These data are available to the general public.
McKanna, Clare V., Jr. ETHNICITY AND HOMICIDE IN CALIFORNIA, 1850-1900. ICPSR version. San Diego, CA: San Diego State University [producer], 1989. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1994. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09594.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09594.v1
This study was funded by:
- National Science Foundation (SES 87-20939)
Scope of Study
Date of Collection:
Universe: Homicides in California, 1850-1900.
Data Types: aggregate data
Sample: Data for Parts 1 and 2 are 100-percent samples from seven California counties. The homicide data (Part 1) were obtained from historical documents such as coroner's inquest reports, criminal case files, and newspaper accounts. The indictment data (Part 2) were obtained from the registers of district and superior courts. Data for Part 3 are a 100-percent sample of all felons incarcerated for murder or manslaughter in California, obtained from the registers of the San Quentin and Folsom prisons.
prison and court registers, newspapers, county histories, criminal case files, and coroner's inquest reports
- Performed consistency checks.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1992-01-10
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 4 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)