Recidivism of Felons on Probation, 1986-1989: [United States] (ICPSR 9574)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
This data collection provides an overview of how probation cases are processed in 32 urban and suburban jurisdictions in the United States and gauges the extent to which variations in probation patterns exist between jurisdictions. Data were collected on offenders who were sentenced in 1986 and who committed one or more of the following types of offenses: homicide, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, larceny, drug trafficking, and other felony crimes. Probation history questionnaires were completed during the last half of 1989. Information is available on number of conviction charges, race, age, sex, marital status, educational level, and ethnicity of the probationer. In addition, data on drug and alcohol use and treatment, sentencing, restitution, and offenses are provided.
These data are available to the general public.
U.S. Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics. RECIDIVISM OF FELONS ON PROBATION, 1986-1989: [UNITED STATES]. Conducted by Mark A. Cunniff and the National Association of Criminal Justice Planners. 2nd ICPSR ed. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 1994. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09574.v2
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09574.v2
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics (87-BJ-CX-0005)
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: All probationers in the jurisdictions covered by NATIONAL JUDICIAL REPORTING PROGRAM, 1986: [UNITED STATES] (ICPSR 9073).
Data Types: event/transaction data, and survey data
Sample: A representative sample for this data collection was based on NATIONAL JUDICIAL REPORTING PROGRAM, 1986: [UNITED STATES] (ICPSR 9073), which profiled all sentences meted out in each participating jurisdiction for 1986. A stratified random sample of these sentences was taken, based on the most serious conviction offense.
official probation department records in each of the jurisdictions
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1992-05-12
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~11 citations associated with this study
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)