National Pretrial Reporting Program, 1988-1989 (ICPSR 9508)
Principal Investigator(s): Pretrial Services Resource Center
This data collection effort was undertaken to determine whether accurate and comprehensive pretrial data can be collected at the local level and subsequently aggregated at the state and federal levels. The data contained in this collection provide a picture of felony defendants' movements through the criminal courts. Offenses were recoded into 14 broad categories that conform to the Bureau of Justice Statistics' crime definitions. Other variables include sex, race, age, prior record, relationship to criminal justice system at the time of the offense, pretrial release, detention decisions, court appearances, pretrial rearrest, adjudication, and sentencing. The unit of analysis is the defendant.
One or more files in this study are not available for download due to special restrictions ; consult the restrictions note to learn more. You can apply online for access to the data. A login is required to apply for access.
Access to these data is restricted. Users interested in obtaining these data must complete a Restricted Data Use Agreement, specify the reasons for the request, and obtain IRB approval or notice of exemption for their research.
These data are available to the general public.
Pretrial Services Resource Center. National Pretrial Reporting Program, 1988-1989. ICPSR09508-v3. [distributor], 2013-06-12. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09508.v3
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09508.v3
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics (84-BJ-CX-K003)
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: case processing, courts, criminal histories, criminal justice system, defendants, disposition (legal), felons, felony courts, offenses, pretrial detentions, pretrial hearings, pretrial procedures, pretrial release, sentencing
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Felony court filings during February 1988 in the 75 most populous counties in the United States.
Data Types: event/transaction data
Data Collection Notes:
Per agreement with Pretrial Services Resource Center, ICPSR distributes the data file without the statute number variables.
Sample: In a two-stage sampling process, the first stage was a stratified sample to select 39 of the 75 most populous counties, and the second stage was a systematic sample of defendants based on felony filings within each selected county.
National Pretrial Reporting Program official data collection instrument
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1991-05-03
- 2013-06-12 All parts are being moved to restricted access and will be available only using the restricted access procedures.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
Related Publications (?)
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)