Community Policing in Baltimore, 1986-1987 (ICPSR 9401)
Principal Investigator(s): Pate, Antony M.; Annan, Sampson O.
This data collection was designed to investigate the effects of foot patrol and ombudsman policing on perceptions of the incidence of crime and community policing practices in Baltimore, Maryland. Data collected at Wave 1 measured perceptions of crime and community policing practices before the two new policing programs were introduced. Follow-up data for Wave 2 were collected approximately one year later and were designed to measure the effects of the new policing practices. Included in the data collection instrument were questions on the perceived incidence of various crimes, police effectiveness and presence, disorder, property and personal crime and the likelihood of crime in general, feelings of safety, crime avoidance behaviors and the use of crime prevention devices, cohesion and satisfaction with neighborhoods, and awareness of victimization and victimization history. The instrument also included demographic questions on employment, education, race, and income.
These data are freely available.
Pate, Antony M., and Sampson O. Annan. Community Policing in Baltimore, 1986-1987. ICPSR09401-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1998. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09401.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09401.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. National Institute of Justice (86-IJ-CX-0003)
Scope of Study
Universe: All residents of Baltimore, Maryland.
Data Types: survey data
Sample: Multistage sampling based on neighborhood socioeconomics.
- Standardized missing values.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1990-10-16
- 2006-03-30 File CB9401.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 1998-04-02 The dataset now contains data files for Waves 1 and 2 only. The combined data file has been eliminated. Data definition statements for SAS and SPSS have been prepared, and documentation is now available as a PDF file.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)