Principal Investigator(s): Loeber, Rolf, University of Pittsburgh. Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic
This is a longitudinal study of three birth cohorts of youngsters who were considered at risk because of anti-social behavior or because of officially recorded delinquency at early ages. The study followed a sample of 245 boys in the fourth, seventh, and tenth grades in 1980 (Part 1) and again in 1985 (Part 2). Two screening devices, or "gatings," were used to predict future delinquency. The first procedure, triple gating, was based on teachers' ratings of school competence, mothers' reports of anti-social behavior in the home, and parental monitoring. The second procedure, double gating, used only the teachers' ratings and mothers' reports. Data were collected on the boys' family, school, and criminal backgrounds. Variables include measures of independence and achievement, family criminality, home conduct problems, school disruptiveness, school competence, parental authoritarianism, parental conflict, self-reported delinquency, peer delinquency, and drug and alcohol use.
These data are freely available.
Loeber, Rolf. Screening of Youth at Risk for Delinquency in Oregon, 1980-1985. ICPSR09312-v2. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research[distributor], 1998. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09312.v2
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09312.v2
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. National Institute of Justice (84-IJ-CX-0048)
Scope of Study
Universe: Males in the fourth, seventh, and tenth grades from 21 elementary and high schools in Oregon.
Data Types: survey data, and administrative records data
Sample: Subjects were selected from a sample of 300 families who volunteered to participate in all phases of the study.
personal interviews, official juvenile department records, and state police records
- Standardized missing values.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1990-05-01
- 2006-03-30 File QU9312.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-03-30 File CB9312.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 1998-10-15 Missing data codes have been standardized and SAS and SPSS data definition statements were created for this collection. ICPSR also created a PDF codebook and scanned the data collection instruments into a PDF file.
Related Publications (see Notes)
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)